1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Cooler Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MH_Wadester, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MH_Wadester

MH_Wadester Thread Starter

ok so i have successfully installed the cpu however the temperatures do not seem all that better.... before on idle with the stock cooler using speedfan the temperatures would read around 40-45.... and with the cpu cooler they have only seemed to decrease by 1 or 2 degrees.

Whats going on shouldn't it drop it further?..... and also i realize that with some thermal pastes you need to wait for a few days for it to really work so to speak... but still i was expecting at least 5 degree drop. I guess i should also take into consideration other variables like ambient temperature, airflow inside case, number of fans etc.

But 2 of those i think should be fairly good... i have 5x120mm case fans and my cables are managed fairly well inside case however the temperature today has been shocking.

I dont know the ambient temperature, but going off the readings of a weather gadget it was supposedly 35C in the day about 25C now when i measured the temps of cpu.
    If you could tell me if those temps are bad for a brand new cpu cooler or if i am worrying too much... and if they are bad how I can improve them.
    Thanks in Advance.

PS: Iv attached 2 screenshots of the temps on idle and at max load with Prime95 (after a couple of mins):

Attached Files:

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    How exactly are you case fans setup? Which one(s) blow air in, which out etc. Having more fans doesn't necessarily increase cooling efficiency, in some cases more fans will actually decrease your cooling efficiency!

3. MH_Wadester

fan setup:

Intake
    1x120mm Antec tricool intake bottom
    1x120mm CM Default LED front intake

Exhaust
    1x120mm CM Default Rear exhaust
    1x120mm Antec tricool exhaust top
    1x120mm CM Default exhaust top

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Setup shouldn't be too bad although personally I don't see the need for that many case fans. I used to run an overclocked 8800GT graphics and Core2Duo cpu (no OC on stock cooler) with only 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan, never had any heat problems.

So, next thoughts is possibly too much or too little thermal compound on the CPU cooler? What type of compound are you using?

5. MH_Wadester

just the paste that came with the cooler.... so coolermaster and concerning too much or too little thermal compound that could be the issue...... i didnt apply the paste myself my friend did it (has more experience than me and i was afraid i might do something wrong)..

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, unless I am missing something here we have no idea what hsf you installed AND no idea what cpu you have installed.
    53C under prime95 is a pretty good temp however do post the exact cpu you have installed so we can see how hot it is running.

7. MH_Wadester

sorry i thought it was in this post ( as i got it from another thread i posted in another forum)...
    My CPU is AMD Phenom II x 4 955 BE
    Heatsink: CoolerMaster hyper 212+
    Motherboard: GA-MA790XT-UD4P

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps are a little high however not overly so. My 965 overclocked to 4gig is running @32C right now under no load. It will get up to 55-58C when running prime95.

One thing to be sure to do when using that type of cooler. Install the fan so it blows air toward the read exhaust fan; not toward the front of the case. Make sure you have wires, cables, etc tied up so you get good airflow through the case. If the inside looks like a rat nest, then you have one reason for running slightly warm.

Really I would not sweat your temps; they are well within limits.

9. MH_Wadester

well i dont know what the room and ambient temperatures are so that would help in seeing if its hot or relatively cool in comparison to it.... anything else i could try or do to decrease them more? and may i ask what are the current temperatures where you live now or your room temp

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Good ponit crj, I totally overlooked that one myself ... oopsy

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I really would not worry about it too much. I am upstairs in my office so it is a little warmer than the downstairs of my house; probably 68-70F up here. The case sits inside my desk so it does run a little warmer than if it were not in a cabinet [I did install an exhaust fan in my desk for when it gets hot in the summer]

About the only things I could possibly suggest would be to make sure the surface of the hsf is flat. Some are off a little. Take the hsf and give it a good cleaning with 99 or 91% alcohol. Now place a piece of fine sandpaper on a known flat surface ie glass or something like that. Move the hsf back and forth and check the pattern on the bottom. It should be clean all the way across. If it is just clean on one side, you know it is a little off. Sand/lap it until you get a uniform pattern on the bottom. Clean again to remove any sand and reinstall with arctic silver. Use ONLY a small amount ie size of a BB. Using too much will cause it to run warmer.

Other than that, no suggestions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice