1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu Cooling Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vanquish07, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned Thread Starter

My friend has an Alienware Computer and he wants to install new cooling due to high cpu temperatures and possibly overclock. I am the one who installs parts for my friend because i have experience doing it and he doesnt, but i dare not remove the motherboard to fit a new mounting system due to all of the complicated and numerous wiring that Alienware have used, the cpu cooler it came with is from Thermaltake and looks similar to this:
    http://www.svc.com/cl-p0114-14.html
    The mounting system is just 4 screws that screw in to a mounting system that alienware have already fitted underneath the motherboard, the holes that a standard cooler usualy pops into have threads for screwing into, i would like to know what the best cooler is that i can install that uses the same mounting system.
    It is an AMD 64x2 processor AM2 socket.

The below information in my signature is MY computer, NOT my freinds

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Usually amd64 hsf mount on a plastic mounting plate using a spring clip and cam type of lock down.

Are you sure this hsf uses a mounting plate that goes behind the board? If you are sure it does, I would definitely pull the board. Just think about it for a min. What is going to hold the mounting plate in place when you remove all of the screws holding the old hsf? The plate is going to fall to the bottom of the case.

3. Vanquish07

Mounting plate? It is clipped in underneath the motherboard, while standard cooling pops into the holes there is somehting going through them, the HSF is screwed on, i know because i removed and re-attached it when i installed my friends new CPU

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it mounts under the board as per your post
    I would pull the board. How are you going to get something that will fit the same mounting system unless you just replace what you have with the exact same thing? I doubt this is what you want to do.

In any case, just pull the board and be done with it. Then you can install any type of hsf you want [as long as it fits]

5. Vanquish07

This isnt my computer, if i pull this board theres so much crap i have to unplug then plug back in, if you saw it you probably wouldnt want to pull the board either. Alienwares setup is unnecasarily elaborate.

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you put a complete new hs in, the backplate will more than likely fall out. There are 2 possible ways to get round this.one is to have someone hold thecomputer upside down and install, and the other is to under the screws carefully, let it fall down, and hope you can reach it. Then again, you could do a full board removal. If yo uworry about cables, take digital pictures, write down what goes where, put tags on everything. However the biggest concern I would have is that given its an alienware, and they di tend to be reasonable, why the heat issues? Sounds as if there may be a bad contact between cpu and hs, possibly a paste issue.
    As for best cooler, any stock cooler rated for the cpu should be fine :)

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

AM2 mounts are a plastic cage mounted to the MOBO. The HSF clips on to lugs on this plate/cage, very similar to way AMD HSF's have always been mounted.

[​IMG]

Note the clip engaging one side of the cage:

[​IMG]

Alienware provides high quality components that are meant for the enthusiast/overclocker. I'm sure the HSF is a very good one that is now not installed/seated properly, hence "high cpu temperatures" . It would appear that what you did was unscrew the entire retention bracket. That's not the way it's done.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is just what I was saying in post #2. I have never seen an amd64 that used a mounting plate behind the board. Intels yes amds no; however I have not seen everything so I thought he might have something like that.

In addition unless it is one of the very high end amd64s [like a 6400+] they usually run pretty cool anyway. The latest amd64s do run a little warm however heat is not really an issue. I have a 6400+ here and it does run a little warmer than my intel 6850 however it is only a few degrees warmer.

Good pics BTW. I was looking for some and the ones I found really did not show the hsf mount like yours do.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You had it right. But actually there usually is a plate, for reinforcement I presume, underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Brisbane cores are great as far as heat goes. No fancy coolers needed even when overclocking. For those interested the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane at $84 shipped, is a steal. Note the Black Edition is unlocked. Got mine at 2.9GHz with a $20 cooler (it will go higher).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice