1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu core problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mathew8e, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:41 AM.

Advertisement
  1. Mathew8e

Mathew8e Thread Starter

My amd ryzen is showing that it has only 2 cores activated and i have a 1600x witch has 6 cores. I have ryzen master downloaded. My motherboard is b350 gaming plus. pls help me

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How exactly are you determining that only two cores are working? Post screenshots of whatever shows you only two cores are working.
    Did you clean install the operating system OR did you just swap motherboards/processors and use an old windows install?

It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

And, at the very least, what version of Windows are you running? (Windows 7 and lower will only use two cores natively)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have any links to support that? Seems strange to me since I at one time had an 8350 8core cpu running on win7 without any issues. No patches installed or anything

5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So you have no documentation to prove your statement. As I said, I had an 8core processor on win7 and all 8cores worked just fine at 100% when running prime95.
    You are confusing cores with processors. Win2k and XP [32bit vers] had a 2 CPU limit however they could use any number of cores. The 64bit ver of win2k like data center used [I think] up to 64 processors.

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

crjdriver,
    I have personally seen HWMonitor running on a quad core I7 show zero percent utilization on two of the cores unless I ran software that would invoke the other cores. After seeing about four of the same results on different PCs, I dug in and did some research which confirmed those observations; but, that was about 2012 so I didn't keep any of the references.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

HWM is next to useless with modern hardware. It was a decent program in it's day however that day has long past. A much better option is to use the purpose designed monitoring software that is available from most [if not all] motherboard mfg.
    The operating system will use as many cores as it needs. Your statement that some software will use the other cores is at odds with this statement
    Even windows xp will use more than two cores.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice