1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"cpu Fan Does Not Function Properly"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lomax, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lomax

lomax Thread Starter

OK, I've read a couple of threads here and there about this message, but I'm still not sure if they apply to my problem.

Basically, I stupidly started messing around in the BIOS (I am pretty **** with computers, I have no idea what I was doing) and I think I changed something to do with the fan. I think it had somehting to do with the speed of the fan.

Now, when I turn on my PC I get this message "CPU FAN DOES NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY", with a continued bleeping noise. I can't get to the BIOS. Its is just a black screen with the message.

Now I took it to a guy and he said that my motherboard has gone, and he could tell this by the bleeping. I am not sure however, as my computer seemed to be working alright before this accident in the BIOS/fan settings.

From what I've read around, it seems like I need to get to the BIOS, to adjust this setting that I changed when messing around with the Fan BIOS. I can't get to the BIOS though. The computer man I took it too said that he's 'cleared the BIOS' (which I gather means he just took out the battery) and 'changed the fan'.

But I'm still not convinced. From what I've read, it is a case of running a high speed fan where the usual fan would be, thus reaching a high enough speed to enter the BIOS. Is this possible? I could perhaps power my normal fan though something else, enabling me to put a High speed 3 pin fan in the usual slot. Is this possible? It's something I've read and yet to try. Is it easy enough to do?

I'm pretty sure that the problem I have is fixable, just wondered what your take on this was. Cheers guys..

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Simple way to check if your cpu fan is broken, open up the case and see if it turns on. Some boards do not register certain cpu fans properly. For example my own asus board brings up that error at every bootup but its because i have a modded zalman cpu fan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice