CPU Fan Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Casshern

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with the CPU fan, in that it has stopped working. Rather than mess around and just replace the fan, I bought a new heatsink entirely. The problem is, that one also does not work. I bought the same make and model (Deep Cool Gammax 200T) and I still get the same error. I can still boot the computer even though I immediately get taken to the BIOS screen when I turn it on. Booting Windows works fine and the CPU sits around 30C. Obviously I haven't tried running any games I don't want to melt the CPU.

Everything else seems to work fine except the fan. I even checked the fan profile to make sure it wasn't stopping it from running at low temps. So now I'm thinking the motherboard power socket for the fan is faulty.

Question is, if that is the case, can it be fixed? Or does this mean I need a new mobo?

Cheers.

EDIT: System specs:

2 TB Seagate (2000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast - White
Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
EVGA 750W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise
1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
240GB SSD SATA-III, Read 560MB/s, Write 510MB/s - Silent
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
2 x 120 MM Cooler Master Blue LED Fan
16GB 2400MHz (1x16GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4) - LIMITED TIME LOW PRICE ENDS MONDAY
Creative Gaming Sound Blaster X AE 5.1 (PCI-E) - RGB Lights
Deep Cool Gammaxx 200T - Low Noise
Intel i7 8700K - (6 x 3.7 GHZ - Turbo 6 x 4.7 GHZ) - Coffee Lake
Asus TUF B360-PRO GAMING (Intel B360) - 5xUSB 3.1/4xUSB 2.0/RGB Lights/Dual Band WIFI

Sorry forgot to put specs in.

Last edited:

crjdriver

First of all, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running [excepting the cpu cooler] Post ALL of your exact system specs.
Next have you opened the case and verified whether or not the fan is working?

Casshern

First of all, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running [excepting the cpu cooler] Post ALL of your exact system specs.
Next have you opened the case and verified whether or not the fan is working?
Yeah tried opening the case and checking the fan. It's not working at all. Everything else seems to be working fine. Even booted it and looked at MSI afterburner to see if that was messing with it. Just doesn't seem to be getting power even thought the PSU seems like it's doing what it's supposed to be.

crjdriver

It is very difficult to help you unless you post your specs. Some motherboards have dual cpu fan headers and you can connect the fan to the opt fan header for testing. Again since we have no idea what motherboard you are running, it is impossible to advise you.

Casshern

It is very difficult to help you unless you post your specs. Some motherboards have dual cpu fan headers and you can connect the fan to the opt fan header for testing. Again since we have no idea what motherboard you are running, it is impossible to advise you.
I posted the specs in the original post.

crjdriver

OK, I checked the specs on your motherboard and it does not have dual cpu fan headers; just the one. If the both of the coolers you tried are not working, then the fan header on the board has failed.
I do see where this is a B360 board. The B360 is a business chipset motherboard and as such it is not a performance board. My guess [and it is just a guess] is that the cooler draws more pw than a normal cooler and after a while, the header failed.

Casshern

OK, I checked the specs on your motherboard and it does not have dual cpu fan headers; just the one. If the both of the coolers you tried are not working, then the fan header on the board has failed.
I do see where this is a B360 board. The B360 is a business chipset motherboard and as such it is not a performance board. My guess [and it is just a guess] is that the cooler draws more pw than a normal cooler and after a while, the header failed.
Ok thanks for that. Does that mean I need a new mobo, or is that something a repair shop could sort out?

crjdriver

Question is, if that is the case, can it be fixed? Or does this mean I need a new mobo?
Anything can be fixed however the question is whether or not the fix is cost effective. In this case, it would cost way more than replacing the motherboard.

crjdriver

Ok thanks for that. Does that mean I need a new mobo, or is that something a repair shop could sort out?
Something like that would either have to be sent to an electronics shop for repair OR sometimes back to asus. In any case, a new board would be cheaper.

Casshern

Something like that would either have to be sent to an electronics shop for repair OR sometimes back to asus. In any case, a new board would be cheaper.
Ok thanks for all your help. That's everything I needed. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online