CPU Fan Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Infinity

I recently upgraded my CPU fan and everything seems to be working fine except while I'm still in the boot up mode it says "CPU Fan Error!" Everything seems to be working fine...the CPU is running very cool 38C so much better from what it was 78C...I just bought the Zalman fan for it...I checked the BIOS and it is reading the fan properly and everything...I'm just wondering why I would get an error if everything seems to be working properly. Really and truley I just want the error to go away so I can boot normally without having to wait for the error to popup everytime and having to press F1.

Can someone please help me figure out what is causing this error?

Some simple questions. Does your fan plug have the same number of connectors as your old one and is in plugged into the same (or correct) connector on the Motherboard?

If your new fan is cooling more efficiently than the old one it's possible that when you first boot up it's running at an RPM that is below the threshold that is set in BIOS for the alarm message.

The Infinity

it was at 1700 + last time i checked...I tried resetting the bios and also clearing the CMOS but those didnt work...Do you have any other ideas as to what it could be?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would appear that the MB thinks the fan is not running, or running too slow. If you can't change that, can you disable the fan check in the BIOS?

The Infinity

well I can set the CPU fan to ignored but as norton said I hope that wouldn't cause my CPU to overclok it self or something.

The Infinity said:
it was at 1700 + last time i checked...I tried resetting the bios and also clearing the CMOS but those didnt work...Do you have any other ideas as to what it could be?

the alarm on some motherboards come on when the speed goes below 2000 RPM

i'm getting a 80mm case fan and using a adapter to add it on my cpu heatsink.

it will run at 3000 rpm

a big leap down from my 60mm 7000 rpm.

but the 80mm has a higher cfm

The Infinity

I ran into a problem this summer with overheating due to unusually hot days here in Vermont. With a good cleaning and reapplication of thermal compound (less than before) the problem has been corrected. However, now that it has cooled off somewhat, I will sometimes have my CPU fan alarm go off (it's set to 600 RPM). As JohnWill says you can shut off the monitor/alarm. It probably won't hurt anything if the fan actually starts failing. If you have an Intel chip they should just throttle down. AMD based motherboards (at least the newer ones) have a protector circuit that shuts things down if the CPU gets hot. Mine works :D Either way you should be OK.

The Infinity

Ok I think I have corrected the problem! :) In BIOS under (Hardware Moniter) I turned the CPU Fan to monitered to "Ignored" that seemed to correct the problem since I havent gotten the error again and I have another monitering program "Everest Home" and it detects my CPU Fan just fine :)

So if I have any further troubles I'll let you guys know...but I think its finally fixed YAY! :D I appreciate all you guys help thanks alot! :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online