1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU fan failed---NOT!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Furgs, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Furgs

Furgs Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 754n, running Windows XP. My son tried to install a video card (nVidia GeFORCE Mx 4000, 128 MB DDR).

When he tried to reboot the computer he received the error message "CPU fan failed. Have system serviced immediately. Press f2 to continue to boot. Otherwise the system will power down in 5 seconds."

However, the fan was running.

He removed the video card and tried to reboot again. Same error message.

And the fan was running.

He pressed F2 many times and the computer shut down after 5 seconds.

He went to advanced setup in the BIOS and it said that the RPM of the fan was "0" although the fans were spinning. It also said the temperature of the computer was 27 degrees C.

What gives?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Furgs

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Check the power lead to the fan. It should be a 3 wire lead. Make sure that the connector is on the mother board properly, and that none of the wires are broken, as one of the wires is used for the fan speed sensor.

3. Furgs

Furgs Thread Starter

All of those wires/connectors check out.

4. sammysosa

sammysosa

What is the reason for installing the new videocard? Does the same thing happen when you use the original videocard, or onboard videochip?

If the problem goes away by removing the new videocard, tell us. If the problem remains even after going back to the old video setup, tell us that. We need to know if ONLY installing the new videocard causes this to happen, or if it happens no matter which video source you use.

Can you provide any links to the HP website with specific details about your computer? Can you tell us approx. how old it is? Does it use onboard video, or did your son have to REMOVE a videocard in order to install the new one?

Details will help to pin this down; tell us whatever you can about the system and the monitor (is it an LCD or a CRT monitor?), and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

5. Furgs

Furgs Thread Starter

Here's the link to the product specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&product=296688&dlc=en&docname=bph08026

It has a CRT monitor.

It uses onboard video and this is the first time he has tried to install a videocard. The problem began IMMEDIATELY after installing the card and continued AFTER he removed it. With the card in, it boots to a black screen saying a new videocard has been installed/located, then goes to the blue HP screen for a second, then goes back to a black screen with the error message. With the videocard removed, it does the exact same thing, except for saying that there is a new videocard.

Anything else?

Thanks,

Furgs

6. sammysosa

sammysosa

Thanks for the info and the link; I found this advice on the HP website:

1. Turn on the computer and press the F1 key when the keyboard light comes on. Wait five seconds.

NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs prior to 2002 it may be necessary to press the F10 key instead of F1.

2. Press the F5 key to restore the default settings of the BIOS. Press Enter and wait five seconds.

3. Press the F10 and then the Enter key to save the changes and exit from the BIOS.

4. The monitor should now display items received from the computer.

Try that method; I'll be offline for a while, but will check back for an update from you as soon as possible.

Good luck; resetting the defaults (by using that method) should make the original videochip work again. After you've got that issue dealt with, read this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...oduct=296688&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00007413#

Pay CLOSE attention to those instructions; here's a hint as to why you're most likely to have this type of problem, copied directly from that page:

"Many HP and Compaq PCs have video on the motherboard. Check the specifications of your model to determine if you have a video card as onboard video should be disabled in the BIOS to avoid installation issues on some models."

Take it by the numbers; it is an involved process, but you should be able to get through it without a lot of heartburn. If you simply can't get it to work no matter what you do, reset everything back to normal, using the same method to restore the onboard video, so you can continue to use the system. With any luck, someone will be able to walk you through the procedure, and help you work around any obstacles.

Of course, you'll need the proper video drivers to install for the new card, but I imagine your son already has that taken care of.

Above all else, take your time with this; it is NOT as simple a process as most people seem to think it is. Swapping a KEYBOARD is pretty straightforward; swapping a videocard is an order of magnitude more involved, especially if you expect it to WORK when you're finished... :D

Good luck; I'll check back as soon as I can.

7. Furgs

Furgs Thread Starter

Thank you thank you! All is well. He printed out your advice and link and fixed the problem.

We appreciate your help. This is the first time I've used this forum and I will recommend it to others.

Maybe later in the week, I'll post about the problem with my Toshiba laptop. ;)

Thanks again,

Furgs

8. sammysosa

sammysosa

I'm glad we could help you get this resolved; when you didn't reply after a few hours, I figured you were making progress... (y)

As for the Toshiba laptop, all I can say is, BRING IT ON! :D

There are many knowledgeable techs who post here, and I'm sure one or more of us can help you... :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice