1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu fan failure and bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thefox, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thefox

thefox Thread Starter

Hi all. After replacing a dead cpu fan (spotted after "Warning - cpu fan failure detected" message flashed on screen), I am still getting this message at boot up. The fan (3 pin) is running fine. There is no option on screen to access the bios to investigate further and I've tried every permutation of F1, F2, Esc, Del etc etc.. Have reset bios by removing the 3volt battery and also resetting the jumper. The computer will not go beyond this warning page. Any advice on what to do next?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Does the fan have 2 wires on it or 3.
    A 2 wire fan won't have RPM sensing that the motherboard needs.
    Might check the motherboard manual to see if there might be a jumper
    on the board to bypass the warning,but it is kind of unusuall that
    it won't let you access the bios at all.
    Usually the setting to disable the warning is in the bios.

3. thefox

thefox Thread Starter

It's a 3 wire fan and it's spinning fine. Have already reset the cmos jumper. Still getting the error message. The bios thing is indeed unusual as it seems that the fan warning locks the computer and therefore no access to the bios. Hmmm...

4. thefox

thefox Thread Starter

This thread is dead now as I've realised it's a bigger problem than I'm prepared to deal with now. One thing I do know is that it is definately not the fan! Until next time all....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice