1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU fan high speed intermittent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by didgeridont, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. didgeridont

didgeridont Thread Starter

My CPU fan gets extremely fast about every 20 minutes, and it lasts about thirty seconds.

I'm worried my computer is overheating. I use it for work.

I had my motherboard replaced about a year ago. My CPU fan and my motherboard are now two different brands, so maybe the repair guys used the old fan with the new motherboard, somehow leading to this problem.

I took the fan out and cleaned out a huge buildup of dust. Now the fan still speeds up every 20 minutes, but now it goes much faster.

SPECS

Motherboard:pegatron. Model # M2N78-LA Violet.
    CPU fan:Foxconn DC Brushless fan.
    Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 820 processor 2.80ghz
    Ram:8 gigs
    Hard disk space: 920 gigs, 108 gigs free.
    Windows 7, service pack 1
    Manufacturer:HP
    Model:p6404y
    System type:64 bit operating system

2. ETech7

ETech7

Get HWiNFO or CoreTemp, they will let you know how hot you CPU runs.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

MBs do not come with cpu heatsink fans. Almost all of the time the mb and cpu cooler are of two different mfg [only exception that comes readily to mind is an intel mb with a retail intel cpu]

Unless you purchased a new heatsink fan, the repair tech would have had to reuse the old cpu cooler. Open the case [system off] and check to see if the cpu cooler is firmly attached to the cpu ie no broken clips.

Check your cpu temps with one or both of the links above and post the result here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice