CPU fan mounting on Gigabyte motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Myrddnn

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200825005407.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 570 Series
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (360 GB Free); D: 931 GB (675 GB Free); E: 298 GB (128 GB Free); H: 3726 GB (3073 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68A-D3H-B3
System: Award Software International, Inc., ver GBT - 42302e31
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

The problem I've been having is the computer locking up whenever I run a game on the new card. The game monitor (hdmi and plugged into the Radeon) goes to single color and the computer freezes, often with a small segment of sound looping endlessly. Requires a power down reboot to clear the problem. I've used DDR and removed all drivers before reinstalling just the Radeon software. I've run two different ram testers and all good. Finally, I got some thermal past and took it down to clean the heat sink and processor, re-paste it and reinstall. Problem happens here.
Two of the connection/attachment thingies broke. They are a complicated arrangement of a small clear plastic pair of points with a nail/pin that is pushed in by the lock downs they are embedded in. They were so fragile that trying to bend them closed (so I could insert them into the holes on the motherboard they go through) cracked one side of two of them off.
Not having any way to fix it without looking up a replacement, I did my best and when I powered up, to my astonishment, it worked fine. Better, it played one of the most demanding of my games flawlessly for almost six hours, then ran over night and into this morning before doing the freeze when I tried to play that game today.

Now, all of that is to say what my problem is today. I need a replacement for this thing that plugs into literal holes in the motherboard. And no combination of search terms seems to find anything that looks remotely like what I have here. None seem designed to mount into these holes. There is no clamp mount as I've seen in many other computers. And, all of the cooling fans I do find are 120mm, while the holes seem about 90-95mm apart and about 3/8" or maybe 10mm. I would love to hear from someone who works in the business and can help me find the right fan/cooler for this soon.

Thank you for reading this.

Myrddnn

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the replacement already. I was so frustrated spending days and not finding any fans that looked like this even remotely (mounts wrong and size wrong).
And thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Yours,
Jim

crjdriver

No problem. I always recommend pulling the motherboard on intels when you do a heatsink fan this is for two reasons;
1 When using a stock intel type cooler, you can inspect the back of the board to be sure all four pushpins are fully seated
2 With the board in the case and supported on the standoffs, you have to push quite hard to seat the pins. I am always fearful of either cracking the motherboard or breaking a solder trace on the board due to flexing. With the board out of the case and supported by your hand, this cannot happen

The AMDs can be done in the case since their mounting of the cooler is just about idiot proof.

Myrddnn

Thanks for that advice. I'll do that when the new one comes in.

Yours,
Jim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts