1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU fan not starting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by segalbaum, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. segalbaum

segalbaum Thread Starter

Just built a new computer with the following:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz CPU
    2 GB Corsair DDR 800 RAM
    RaidMax Smilodon case w/ 500W power supply

Problem: when turning the power on, the system starts to fire up - case fans turn on, etc., but the CPU fan only lurches a bit, then lurches a bit again after it automatically powers down. I've checked and rechecked my CPU fan connector and tried a different fan slot on the mobo to no avail. Short of a problem with the CPU fan input on the board, is there an obvious cause or solution I might be missing?

Thanks.

2. norton850

norton850

Review the second sticky in the forum by crjdriver. Also make sure that you have all of the power connectors attached and that you've got the CPU and heatsink properly installed.

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Poss Bad Fan Do Tou Have Spare Just To Check?

4. replay

replay

did u use the stock heatsink....if so check that u have mounted it properly

5. segalbaum

segalbaum Thread Starter

Just removed everything, propped the mobo up on the cardboard box it came in to avoid shorts, put only the necessities back, but still getting the same result after that. I'm using the stock heatsink and fan, and I am fairly certain I have it installed correctly.

However, I tried plugging an extra 40 mm fan into the CPU_FAN input, and it did indeed start spinning up. So the input itself seems fine. Also, I get the same result whether or not I plug in the 12V power connector by the CPU, which is a bit disconcerting.

I'm leaning towards the problem being with the CPU fan itself, but I'm guessing Intel support won't be very helpful if I gave them a call.

Thanks for your replies.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The scenario you describe sometimes occurs on socket 775 processors that are not fully seated and locked.

These instructions apply to INTEL coolers that were shipped with pre-applied Thermal Interface Material or Thermal Interface Compound.

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the locking pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, without lifting up on the cooler assembly "gently" turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times (Just a couple of degrees each way). Turn the locking pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go by hand, and re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

After the processor cooler is fully down and locked, see if the machine will run.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

BTW, I would also suggest that you consider replacing the Raidmax power supply with a better quality unit.

Good quality units to consider are; PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Zippy, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Thermaltake.

8. segalbaum

segalbaum Thread Starter

Thanks for those instructions win2k - that may very well be it. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Two things though: my heatsink did not come with pre-applied thermal paste, but I did have a little trouble getting all four of the pins fully locked. Also, I applied my own thermal paste, but have since separated the heatsink from the CPU...should I wipe the surfaces clean and re-apply it?

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

YES-Clean.I have heard of this PBLM.if it be the case of the 4 mounting pins as i call them.there iis a heat sink fan assembly made by cooler master called X DREAMP775,it has a mounting plate that fits on the under side of the MB top assembly has 4 screws that screw into bottom plate.Its somewhat of a pain though since you would have to pull MB.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

How long are you running the PC before shutting it down? Check your bios and see if their is a fan control option in there somewhere.

My Asus board calls it Q-fan and it will keep the fan from running until the CPU gets to a certain temperature. I would guess maybe Gigabyte may have a similar option. If your bios has any fan control options, disable them. I would start looking under the hardware monitoring section of the bios first.

It may be as simple as turning off a bios option if you are shutting the machine down before it gets up to the temp where the bios would kick in the fan.

One other way to check this would be go into the bios and monitor temps and watch the fan. If the fan kicks up when you get to a fairly warm temp, then you need to dig around and find the fan control option.

I am sorry if I sound confusing.......I haven't had my coffee yet and yesterday was the 4th of July. :D

11. segalbaum

segalbaum Thread Starter

No worries, you're not confusing Skivvy. The mobo is automatically shutting down after 2-3 seconds though, so if I have a similar BIOS setting, I wouldn't know.

I'm very much hoping that the issue is with my incorrect installation of the 4 mounting pins for the fan. I figured it'd be fine as long as the heat sink wasn't moving, even if a pin or two isn't completely locked.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, it sounds like a definite hardware issue then. Sorry I have no idea what to do at this point. I have been with AMD since 99 and didn't build my first rig until 02.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you sure the heatsink didn't have an installed 1 piece or 3 piece grayish thermal pad?

If it didn't have a thermal pad or pads, then you need to clean the heatsink and processor, and apply new thermal compound by these directions.

Here are instructions from the Artic Silver site as to how the thermal compound should be installed. Whether you use Artic Silver or another brand of thermal compound the procedure would be the same.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

When you re-seat the heatsink just follow the applicable directions in post #6.

14. replay

replay

this is how the stock h/s looks for the core 2's

Attached Files:

15. segalbaum

segalbaum Thread Starter

Sorry win2k, I misunderstood your question - it is quite possible that the stock heat sink included a thermal pad. You're saying that if it did NOT have a pad included, I should clean it, but it seems like I should clean it either way, right?

BTW, I won't be able to look into any of this stuff into I get home tonight, which explains why I can't answer some things definitively.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice