Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU fan not working properly error message

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
Today I noticed that the computer, which I always leave on, had shut off during the night. When I turned it back on I heard a churning sort of noise, heard 2 beeps and saw that it said (the only thing on the screen) "CPU fan not working properly".
After I opened the computer case I saw that the CPU fan was turning, but it might have been turning too slow.
Do I have to change the CPU fan? Can anything else be going wrong?

Thank you in advance

#4 ·
I cleaned the fan, and it seems like it's turning normally, but again, after I turn the computer on it tells me how much RAM the graphics card has, then flashes the cpu fan problem.

So you guys say i should get a new fan...any chance that anything could have happened to the cpu itself?

thanks again

#5 ·
It sounds like the fan or maybe a sensor on the motherboard. One thing you could try is to unplug the fan and then plug it right back in again before trying. It is possible some corrosion has built up on the connection and that would take care of that.

#7 ·
It's best to remove the heatsink when replacing the fan. You don't want to be exerting any unnecessary pressure on the cpu while removing the fan and screwing it back onto the heatsink while it's on the cpu.

No need to replace the heatsink itself but make sure you apply some good quality thermal paste before re-installing it.

#9 ·
it was the motherboard and cpu. I bought a new set and installed everything and turned it on, but nothing happened. The fans inside were turning but nothing showed up on the monitor. I'm using my old RAM. What could be wrong now? Could it be that my RAM is messed up also?

Thanks guys

#10 ·
You can't change the mobo and cpu and just expect it to work. Set the comp to boot from the CD-rom in BIOS. Boot with the system disk. If you have XP or some Windows, try a repair install. If that doesn't work, you should do full instalation. Hope you backed it all up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.