Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpu fan replacement

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  hedley 
#1 ·
Hi, hope this is in the right place. My computer has been making odd noises lately so I installed HDD Health and it tells me the temp is too high at 46 degrees. I believe 40 is the normal. Can someone tell me how to buy the right fan as I bought one before but the computer didn't work after it was installed. Reinstalled the old one and the computer worked perfectly except for the noise. Does it go by the device id in device manager i.e: Processor Device ID: ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_._x86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_2\_0 or is there somewhere/something else that will tell me. Thanks in advance for any help offered.:confused:

#2 ·
Hey,

Generally speaking, 46ºC is not actually a high temperature for a CPU, though it totally depends on the brand and model of the CPU and cooler. What processor do you have? Depending on the socket of the CPU, you can find a heatsink and fan for that specific CPU socket.

Download Everest Home Edition; http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Report back the information displayed under CPU or similar.

Nick.

#5 ·
Just a thought....could the noise be coming from a didfferent fan? Video card? Power supply?? Easy way to tell is remove the side panel and turn on PC. Gently press the middle of the fan to slow it down or even stop it but only for a second! Did the noise go away? if it did look at other fans....

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Following them in order. Have downloaded Everest and these are the results: Type:Intel Pentium4, 2000Mhz (20x100); Alias-Northwood A80532; Stepping
C1; Instruction Set: x86,MMX,SSE,SSE2; Min/Max Multiplier 20x / 20x; Process Tech:6M, 0.13um, cmos, cu, Low-K; 478pin uPGA. Is this the information you need. Please let me know if you need more. Thanks.

#7 ·
Hi Hedley,

I was hoping it would tell us the specific type of 'connection' (or socket), however it does not provide that information. I should of actually guided you to the program below before trying Everest, however all you need to do now is download the below program and report the "socket" to us (or package).

CPU-Z; http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-140.zip

Nick.

#11 ·
Hi Elf-stone, Thanks for the help. Looked at your link but these are all 3.0ghz or higher where mine is only 2.0ghz or do these fans do up to the stated size on the page. MaverickUk, is the 478 upga? the information you were looking for. By the by, the last one I bought turned out to be for a prescott and was complete with thermal paste, which according to the everest information, mine isn't. Win2kpro, is the link you gave the one I should buy? Two specs which don't match mine are the fan size, mine is 80,80,25mm, says this one 2.5ins and the ghz start at 2.8 where mine in 2.0ghz. Sorry, but really am behind the door when it comes to this.

#13 ·
Exactly. When it's rated at 3GHz or higher that means it can cool a 3GHZ cpu or higher. So you know it will have no problem cooling a 2GHz processor. Prescott or Northwood doesn't matter as they take the same size heatsink. The only thing that really matters is the Socket 478 interface.

#15 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies. The one I bought and the computer wouldn't work was an akasa AK-675 cooler for intel p4 478 pga cpu. Specs on box are: hi-grade aluminium 8cm cooler, designed to cool Intel p4 socket 478 Prescott cpu. 8cm fan installed for lo-noise efficient cooling. I have included a link to a fan that I think might do. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&subid=819. Any views/comments would be welcome. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.