1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu fan speed on Dimension 4700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Is there any way to speed up the cpu fan? the fan has a 5pin plug and runs really slow. this case is small and has 1 cpu fan that is a rear fan with shroud over the cpu heat sink. no other places to install a fan and of couse 1 fan in the PSU, an 80cm i think. the hdd is vertical block off the fromnt of the case and its a sata which runs very hot. the cpu is a P4 530 which is also hot and with a pci16ex gfx card i can basically cook eggs on this thing. I would like to get the rear fan cranked up a bit to move some air through this thing.

2. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

ok tried pulling the blue wire out which leaves the wh/bk/red wire, runs fan at top speed sounds like a hair dryer, keep it cool but is way too loud.
    those idiots at Dell once again screw you and use a propritary 5 pin connector which nobody uses otherwise i would have to cut and slice wires together, if it was my pc i would get out the hole saw and mount an 80cm in the side panel.
    I just know this thing is going to fry and be back on my bench in a week.

3. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

anybody know if a dell dim4700 mb is a std atx or micro atx form, it looks like it might be, I would suggest the owner get a better case with more fan mounts but i would have to be able to mount a std 775 fan on the mb and of course have it fit the case mounts. I hate Dell with a passion.

4. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

ok, tossed the green shroud thing and mounted the cpu fan to the heat sink more like a normal pc similar to this idea
    http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-04-04/Katana2 CPU Cooler.jpg

that way mb is still controlling the fan speed, then mounted a 80mm rear fan in the dell bracket, other than cutting a hole in the side or maybe installing a psu with a 120cm fan over the cpu now that the shroud is gone it would work also. again I hate dell they put a prescot core cpu in a little box with no holes, this is the first pc I have seen that is actually warm to the touch on the outside of the case, and warmer than hell on the inside, hope this thing holds up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice