CPU Fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mshabsovich

i have a small dilehma. i broke my cpu fan and i am trying to get a new one but i dont know how big of a fan i need. i am having troubles measuring the fan. it appears to be almost 70 mm from end to end. me question is weather u measure it from one end of the fan blade to the other end, or do i measure the frame around the fan? when i find the right size fan do i need to know specific info then just size?

I see two ways to solve this.

Cheap and easy: Pull the fan out and take it to a computer shop. Show it to someone. Buy what they give you.

Costly yet still easy: Buy a whole new heatsink/fan combo specific to your processor.

First one is about ten bucks, second could cost at the most fourty bucks. Take your pick.

almost always an 80mm fan; any old (case) fan will do, mine broke a while ago and I just bunged a new 80mm case fan on there: exactly same. The measurement is the whole casing, not just the fan.

neosage said:
almost always an 80mm fan; any old (case) fan will do, mine broke a while ago and I just bunged a new 80mm case fan on there: exactly same. The measurement is the whole casing, not just the fan.

NOTE, THIS IS FOR CASE FANS, NOT CPU FANS!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Scorp.

mshabsovich said:
i have a small dilehma. i broke my cpu fan and i am trying to get a new one but i dont know how big of a fan i need. i am having troubles measuring the fan. it appears to be almost 70 mm from end to end. me question is weather u measure it from one end of the fan blade to the other end, or do i measure the frame around the fan? when i find the right size fan do i need to know specific info then just size?
how about we know what cpu you have, socket, etc., as was said the best thing is to take the fan off and bring it with you to the local pc shop, Some cpu fans are very proprietary so its dam near impossible to know if you can find an exact replacement, however if you tell us what cpu/socket you have you can get a whole new heat sink/fan combo

neosage said:
they're identical, size, connectors & voltage.

Hmmmm... I don't want to argue the point too much neosage, but have you looked lately? Yes, there are some fans that are the same for CPU cooling as well, but they are not high performance units, and would probably be more suited to PII or below. All CPU fans should have a ball bearing motor, and not some nylon/plastic cheap crapola that will fail after 300hours.

THIS is a stock P4, while THIS ONE would be a standard case fan. "The same"...??....I don't think so, and to say that could be misleading to some people, and possibly cause damage to their system :eek:

A 70mm fan is...let me take a wild guess...
...the stock fan and heatsink for your P4/Celeron?

You can get a fairly decent replacement for it. It's not terribly complicated for anyone with even modest
experience.

mshabsovich said:
i have a P4 2.08 ghz processor. i am not shure what socket it is
dont even see that one listed on intels site, theres a 2 and a 2.8

brite750 said:
dont even see that one listed on intels site, theres a 2 and a 2.8
Sometimes programs like MBM5 or AIDA32 give weird proc speed readings like that.

I'd assume it's a P4 2.0 Ghz and Socket 478.

prunejuice said:
Sometimes programs like MBM5 or AIDA32 give weird proc speed readings like that.

I'd assume it's a P4 2.0 Ghz and Socket 478.
thanks PruneJ, not an intel guy, ok so just look in newegg for a cpu cooler for your socket 478 and happy trails.

mshabsovich

im sorry im such an idiot. i mixed up one pc form the other 4 i have. Sorry. the one fan that is broken is is on top of an AMD athlon xp 2.08ghz 2800+ processor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online