1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Fans on Max Power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by striker1298, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. striker1298

striker1298 Thread Starter

I was just chillin, and my computer starts to output maximum fan power for no reason. I wasn't even touching it and it started to blast out. I've checked out task manager and the cpu isn't over-utilized, and neither is it hot...I held my hand over the fans and they were blowing chilled air. It's scaring me because I have no idea how it happened, since it just happened while it was on. I even updated the UEFI, but that had no effect. The computer works as fine as it did before, and the only time the fans stop is when it's off. Before you couldn't even hear them and now it's really and scaring the crap out of me... It's a Windows 10 Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Here's a video.. https://goo.gl/photos/nNE3bxiYhewJvi9Y8

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Have you checked the temps of the computer? Made sure the inside isn't full of any dust, esp. on the CPU heat sink/fan?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. striker1298

I bought way too recently too already be experiencing any dust of that volume. I'm also sure it wouldn't be due to that, since it starts on max power as soon it powered on, I mean that seems like too much of a drastic change, going from quiet to max power like that...

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Was it a case fan? CPU fan? Graphics card fan?

5. striker1298

Hm.. Strange. I opened the case up and it seems that only the cpu fan and top case fan are running... The power supply fan and two other case intake fans are not running... (I do not have a video card fan). Now first the first time, it stopped for a second or so, then powered on and off again before turning all the way on. Could it be because I opened the side of the case allowing for more airflow and ultimately more room for cooling?

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Could be, but I never expected a Dell to have that kind of temp hardware. The power supply is pro active so it's going to be on and off.

7. striker1298

What do you think could be the problem relating to the to the other fans not turning on?

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Could be a bad fans, yes they do go bad. I have had brand new ones not work. Check theyre seated fully into the board. Unplug a dead one and plug it into a port that you know has a functioning fan.

9. striker1298

Hey, thanks for your help, the problem seems to have after I shut it off and waited a little bit. I'll keep you posted if problems arise again!

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    So the fans do ALL work now?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice