1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU fluctuating! Feel like I've tried most things, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by coastofnebraska, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coastofnebraska

coastofnebraska Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I am running windows 7 and noticed last week that my computer was kind of stuttering, and saw my CPU was fluctuating a lot, even with few processes running that weren't taking up hardly any CPU. I ran a deep scan of Avast, and it found a couple problems, so I removed them. I also ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller and Superantispyware. The problem still persists and I am at my wits end, to be honest. I would love for someone to try and help me out here, I'm willing to repeat anything if need be. Thank you so much in advance, I really need to get this fixed!

2. coastofnebraska

Here are my specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4000 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1808 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122097 MB, Free - 44317 MB; D: Total - 157544 MB, Free - 141736 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K54C
    Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

3. coastofnebraska

Oh, also another thing. When I have no programs running, (or if I do) my mouse goes to the "processing" animation for a split second, then stops, which is kind of troubling.

4. coastofnebraska

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

C of N :
    Hello & Welcome to TechGuy.org. I am neither the official greeter nor a moderator.

But I am sorry that we missed your thread.

Please provide the brand, model & model # of the computer, if applicable. Thanks for posting the system info results.

I like to start with some history taking.
    What was the date of problem onset? Sometimes the exact date is important.
    The activities in which computer is engaged when problem occurs.
    Browsing the files on your HDD?

Browsing the internet? If so, which browser? Have you tried a different browser?
    Do you connect to the internet via ethernet, wi fi or other? If other, what? If wi fi, try ethernet.

If you have ethernet, boot to safe mode w/ networking.

Are your CPU, GPU or ram overclocked? If so, which? Reset them / it to normal clocking.

Steps you have taken to try to fix the issue
    Can you relate the problem onset to:
    installation or removal of a program or hardware;
    update of W7 or a program such as your antimalware program [ s ]
    Check Windows updates [ control panel; upper right, view by large icons; open Windows Updates; on the left look for Update History ]

Please provide the items removed during the steps you described.

Re Crap Cleaner, what did you remove? Ws the registry cleaned / edited? If so, when with respect to the onset of the problem? If after onset, did anything change?

If you have followed or attempted to follow other troubleshooting steps, please provide them.

Feel free to provide screens shots.
    W7 includes a tool for this; snipping tool
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

return to this thread
    "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    upload
    close window
    submit reply

RF123

6. coastofnebraska

The model is ASUS X54c, onset was ~2/13. It is slow when I do everything, when I just let the computer sit there with no programs running the CPU fluctuates all over the place, sometimes up to 100. Using CCleaner did not make it faster or slower. Nothing I did helped it go any faster. The onset was sudden which makes me think this is some kind of virus that I cannot find in my system with my anti-virus tools. Ethernet makes no difference. Nothing makes a difference... hence why I am here.

7. coastofnebraska

I guess that it's not so much that things are slow, it's that my computer struggles to do anything and hiccups. Sometimes when I log in it just freezes completely or slows down way too much and I have to do a soft reset.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Boot to safe mode, as a test.

Microsoft released a large set of updates on 12 Feb 2013

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice