1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU Frequency Dropping to 0mhz and more..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tabion, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

I've been trying to diagnose this issue for over a week now with no luck. Every 4 seconds my mouse and keyboard stutter for a fraction of a second and on random rare occasions my screen flickers black with a few verticle lines. The screen flicker happens so fast, I can't see how many lines or their color. Video (VLC, MPC, YouTube) also seems to have a slight hiccup at the same moment as the mouse and keyboard but audio (Pandora, iHeart, WinAmp) does not.

So far, I've tried checking for viruses, trying different mice and keyboards, made sure all drivers were up to date, tried rolling back drivers, tried power management settings, CPU utilization settings, etc etc etc.

This issue does happen in safe mode as well as bios.

As of now, I am leaning towards it being an issue with the PSU but can't be certain. The voltages seem to be staying in appropriate range, according to my HW Monitor. The only certain thing I know is that the hiccup happens like clockwork, every 4 seconds and that the CPU drops to 0 mhz when that happens. Could this be a motherboard, cpu, psu issue or something completely different? Greatly appreciate any help!
    HWMonitor.jpg

Specs:
    Windows 10 x64
    Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3
    i7-7700
    32GB Ram
    GTX 960
    800w PSU

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a very quick way of finding out if the problem is hardware or software/windows/drivers, boot the system with a linux live usb. Play a video, watch utube, etc.
    If the system works fine under linux, you know the hardware is ok. If you still have a problem under linux, then you know it is a hardware and not software problem.

Your temps and voltages look ok however I would highly advise you to use the gigabyte utility rather than a third party program. Go to the support page for your motherboard; download and install App center then install system information viewer. Here is a link to the support page;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H270-Gaming-3-rev-10#support-dl-utility

Once you have those installed, reboot. Now open SIV; run something that will stress the system ie prime95, OCCT, intel extreme tuning utility, or other stress test. Monitor the temps and voltages while stress testing; post those here. Note let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps/voltages.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I see that it also shows DDR as 0MHZ and CPU Base clock the same
    The first approach - I think - is to cancel the overclock settings, which I think you have
    I also notice VCore voltage has risen
    You do not say which 800 watt PSU - what is the make and full model please

Please confirm the CPU is i7 7700 and not the K i7-7700

Re VCore voltage 1.224 on right column of HWMonitor
    see other two entries
    0.708 and 0.768.
    Whilst the 1.224 is within limits it seems strange that voltage has risen so much when the 0MHZ is reported.

Presuming for the time being that HW Monitor is not that far wrong - there have been reports of such problems with the i7-7700K on some boards.

There has been a BIOS update - you will find it on the motherboard site addressing issues with that family of processors.
    HOWEVER I would have expected you to have had these problems from the start - if the cause was as reported by Intel.
    HAVE you had such problems all the time you have had the computer please

If you have NOT had these difficulties from the start it seems your issue may be something different.

I think we may progress further when you reply

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is why I always recommend using the purpose designed monitoring software for the motherboard.
    HWM is next to useless [IMO]

5. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

Going to try this next. No experience with Linux so I figured I would focus on what I know first.

Using the Gigabyte SIV, I noticed my VCore is jumping around a lot. The lowest I've caught it at is 0.48v. It does become more stable during stress tests but continues to fluctuate to some degree regardless of the PCs load. I ran both CPU and Memory stress tests, 5 minute intervals, the temperatures were always good.
    SIV_6_10_18.jpg

The computer arrived with Intel Turbo Boost enabled, which is set to 4200mhz max. I never messed with clock speeds before but can try disabling the Turbo Boost.

Thermaltake TR-800P TR2 Bronze 800W ATX 12V V2.3. Just realized this PSU is over 7 years old.

It is the i7-7700 (no K)

Issue did not exist when this computer was first built in mid March and the issue started in late May.

Thanks for the helpful replies! Going to try messing with Intel's Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost Short Power settings and trying Linux Live next.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Vcore is adjusted on a dynamic basis so it is supposed to go up and down in relation to load.
    What are your temps under load ie while running prime95? The screenshot showed only voltages.

Not saying your pw supply is the problem however the most I use one for is 5yrs or so. After that the pw supply goes into the parts closet as a test unit.

Try booting the system with linux. That may shed more light on the matter AND point you in the correct direction for troubleshooting.

7. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

Finally got around to testing Linux, I used Ubuntu 18.04. The same issue was happening in Ubuntu.

My CPU temp under max load hit a peak of 134 degrees Fahrenheit (about 57 Celcius) but usually stayed around 110-120s and my other temps all remained under 100 F.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well, now you know you have a hardware problem/failure. Start by pulling your video card out and connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard. If you still have the problem, then it is down to the motherboard, ram, pw supply, or [very unlikely] the processor.

9. Macboatmaster

I am not surprised it occurred in Linux as you reported it also occurred in the UEFI firmware interface
    How is the power connected - to the computer - direct to AC or via a surge protector strip or the like

10. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

Using a surge protector strip. Hadn't thought about that being the issue, I'll try that next when I have the time. Not sure if a strip could cause those issues but its nice and quick to check.

11. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

Update.
    Okay so I tried using a different power strip, outlet and cable, no luck. Next I borrowed a power supply and still no luck. Tried onboard graphics card, removing my 960 but no luck again.. I also tried sitting different sticks of ram in different seats, using different boot drives, removing all unneeded hardware and still nothing but the same.

At this point I guess it can only be the motherboard. I will contact Gigabyte and see if they can help me. Just wish I had definitive proof that the motherboard was the issue before dealing with support.

12. Macboatmaster

What UEFI firmware version is it - BIOS please
    system information will tell you

I have a feeling that Windows may have installed the latest chipset driver and intel management driver for your system
    I believe it is just possible that these updates will cause problems unless the firmware is updated
    Your latest firmware - BIOS is
    F9d
    5.40 MB
    2018/03/09

The explanation is quite technical but briefly the CPU can enter a state of low power to the extent that it shuts down for a very brief period of time
    This causes system instability and is applicable to Skylake and Kaby lake processors and yours is a Kaby Lake
    https://ark.intel.com/products/97128/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

13. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

That certainly sounds like what I'm experiencing. I had updated to BIOS F9d on the same day I made this thread. It did not fix the issue but I am wondering now if it is because these updates were done in an incorrect order. On Gigabytes driver page it does say Intel Management Engine should not be updated before BIOS is updated and I know that IME was updated before I updated BIOS. I just tried running Gigabytes older IME executable but no luck with that.

Unfortunately, I do not have a recovery point far back enough to possibly revert the drivers being updated. Should I flash BIOS to revert to its manufactured parameters?

14. Macboatmaster

I cannot see, that this, in view of what you have said, can be the cause.
    If you had the older BIOS, with the problem, I would have NOT been surprised if the BIOS flash fixed it. However I am reasonably certain, that the problem you have cannot be caused by the Intel Management engine update before the BIOS

Sorry but I think the only possible solution at this stage is to seek the advice from Gigabyte - or indeed Intel, but I will be surprised if Gigabyte actually come up with any meaningful suggestions.

Unfortunately I must admit that what I am putting forward to you is close to the limit of my knowledge.
    I raise it only so that you may ask Intel/Gigabyte/Thermalake, IF it could possibly be the cause

Kaby Lake processors have low power states, which MAY cause problems under certain conditions
    On the previous Skylake processors the PSU had to support Intel C6 low power state. On the Kaby Lake C7 must also be supported
    Your PSU
    http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001658
    supports as you can see C6 - look on the link just below the 80+ Bronze certification image
    I think it possible, as mentioned, but I am less than certain that updates from Microsoft for your computer MAY have raised these problems.
    I recommend you ask Thermalake to confirm the PSU is good for the Kaby Lake CPU

What I do find puzzling is that you report this problem occurs every 4 seconds - whereas if I was on the right lines I would expect it to be far less frequent

Please do let us know how you go on. I am very interested to know what the cause proves to be

15. Tabion

Tabion Thread Starter

Okay so, I have no idea what actually fixed this issue but has been fixed or at least stopped.

I contacted Gigabyte, they suggested I change some BIOS settings but none of what they suggested changed anything. Out of frustration I tried fooling with a bunch of settings in BIOS and after a dozen or so changes, I booted to a completely black screen. I figured I messed something up in BIOS so, I flashed it. The black screen continued but from boot to windows there was nothing but black. I heard windows boot up and I was able to test firefox opening with Pandora thanks to a hotkey I made, so I knew Windows was working, at least to some extent. So obviously, I tried disconnecting my graphic card and using the onboard graphics but the screen was still black, though it was getting a signal. I then tried a different graphics card, still nothing.

At this point I was even more at a loss, so I took everything apart. I took the processor and slapped it in an old 1151 motherboard I had and it was working fine. Then I put my ram into another computer and that was all fine as well. Tried swapping in my drives, graphic card, PSU, and even the heatsink, all worked fine on this motherboard.

I figured, there was nothing else I could try at this point and simply just wait for Gigabyte to help. So I figured I should slap the PC back together while I wait for a reply. After it was back together, I booted it up and the computer almost started then powered down and a few seconds later it tried again on its own. The screen flashed and the display started working again. Then it booted fine into Windows... and on top of all that the issue was gone. No more screen flicker, no more stutter every 5 seconds and everything is running perfect for over 24 hours now.

I have no idea what the issue could have been. I had tested everything multiple times so I can't figure it out.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way, I appreciate all the help and knowledge passed on to me. I wish I could at least offer what fixed it but I have no clue!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!