1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu fubared

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bombdiggity, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bombdiggity

bombdiggity Thread Starter

hey how is everybody.having a few difficulties with my computer any advice would be greatly appreciated.here are my specs.AMD Athlon xp 2000+,1.66 Ghz,512Mb Ram,Windows xp home edition(vs 2002),SP1,Nvidia Geforce4 mx 440 se graphics card.This Problem started about a month ago when i tried to install and run dungeon lords i was unable to play it without updating my graphic card drivers so i installed nvidia new drivers (vs 77.72) and the game worked fine after that but then my system started to act weird i was getting red lines coming through my desktop and around my mouse pointer at first i thought it was the game so uninstalled it no change and it seemed day after day it got worse.The lines started getting worse the longer i kept my computer on and then my screen would start flickering to the point where it would just go black and i would have to shut my conputer off for a couple of hours.So i uninstalled the graphic card drivers went to default monitor and the problem stopped.And i cant seem to get any drivers ecept for windows assigned drivers to work with the card but the drivers that windows assigned to it when it was installed where taken when i uninstalled the nvidia drivers.So what i tried was to do a repair of windows hoping it would put them back.But the repair didn't work at the very end of the repair install it says that a problem accured and it couldn't test windows to see if it was digitally signed and it says that the software will not be installed.So i clicked ok and the repair continued then rebooted and went through up to just before it goes on to the desktop and says it wants me to register windows.But here is the weird part the lines around my pointer and the lines that were going through my screen are back sometimes it locks up completely and sometimes i can get past to where the screen says thank you for purchasing windows and the resolution looks like its running in vga mode 16bit and i can't get past this screen.And when this first happened i rebooted and looked at display settings and found that my card was enabled and running on windows drivers again.And this is where im stuck.Also my xp disk is a oem disk.I also get a message from when windows when i reboot into safe mode it says driver for display device was uable to complete a drawing operation.

2. bombdiggity

bombdiggity Thread Starter

i found the problem.When it was finalising windows it was also trying reinstall my graphics drivers and i thought i had disabled my graphics card i must not have so i went back into safe mode went into system and disabled my card.Ran repair again and An warning box came up again when it was finalising windows like before but what it was saying was that it could not install the software for my card because it had not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows xp thats when i relized that it was not windows it was the graphic drivers clicked ok repair continued rebooted everything went fine finally back on my desktop.And i apoligize for post should have read more closely the first time.Thanks again.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Up and running....good to hear

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice