1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU,GPU at 100% usage for low end games on gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Games' started by abhishek759, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abhishek759

abhishek759 Thread Starter

I've purchased a Dell G3 laptop and later upgraded it with an SSD. But from the time of purchase, I am unable to play any games even on the lowest settings without stutters. The stutters occur exactly at the moment GPU reaches 100% usage (checked this thoroughly) and even low-end games make both CPU and GPU to reach 100% usage even right at the start. And I wouldn't mind if the stutters are occurring after long intervals, but instead, the stutters are constant and games run on avg is 15fps and even as low as 3fps which is lower than non-gaming pc performance.
    I've tried a lot of youtube tutorials, installed fresh windows 10, disabled game mode, uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia and display drivers with UDD. Disabled, enabled G-sync V-sync. Changed MSConfig settings seeing youtube videos (reverted them back to normal after they didn't work), changed CPU core settings ram speed settings and stuff seeing youtube (reverted them back). Limited the game fps to 50fps since someone suggested that my PC screen is 60Hz. Didn't work. Really frustrated now that I can't even run PUBGM with an emulator on pc on lowest settings. Hope to find a solution here as this is my last resort.
    The system configuration is
    Windows 10
    Core i5 8th Gen
    GTX 1060 with Max-Q design
    8 Gb physical Ram Installed (SysInfo file shows Total Physical Memory is 7.86Gb and Available Physical Memory is 3.54 Gb)
    32Gb Virtual Memory
    All Display and Nvidia drivers are up to date.
    P.S. these issues didn't start after any windows update, These are from the date of purchasing. But since I've purchased it in a different country and shipped here, I couldn't return it anymore.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Advise us what the 7-character "service tag" number is on your Dell G3 laptop so we can determine which model you have and what hardware came in it.

How well does your laptop run when you're not gaming with it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Does your computer come with any other antivirus other than Win 10's own Windows Defender ? Or did you install any ?

4. abhishek759

The service tag is 2QTXKP2. The laptop was slow as a factory model when not gaming, but after i instaled an ssd in the laptop, it runs much faster now.no lags or anything in day to day usage.

5. abhishek759

I havent installed any anti-virus software. Recently a couple of days ago, when a youtube video suggested installing malwarebytes, I installed it and since it had no effect, I uninstalled it immediately along with its settings removed.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have this Dell G3 3579 laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

It also came with these specs:
    Intel Core i5-8300H 2.30 GHz quad core processor
    (Note: it has Intel UHD Graphics 630 integrated graphics)
    8 GB(4 GB X 2) DDR4-2666 RAM
    (Note: it supports a maximum of 32 GB of RAM)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 6 GB dedicated graphics

I'm glad to hear you switched its 1 TB SATA 5400 RPM hard disk drive to a solid state drive.
    I'm sure that has improved speed and snappiness to some degree.

You might also consider increasing its amount of RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB.
    That should also improve speed and snappiness to some degree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. abhishek759

Thank you, everyone, for the support. The problem is now solved. The issue is with the BIOS. I haven't thought about it until now. Updating the BIOS fixed the one-year-long problem (although the problem existed from more than a year, DELL launched a new version of BIOS only in June 2019). I am glad the fix was simple rather than upgrading the rig. If anyone else face similar problems, I would first suggest them to go to their laptop company or motherboard company and check for BIOS updates.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear the June 2019 BIOS update resolved the issue. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice