1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu/gpu OC'ing, undervolting questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J4CK, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J4CK

J4CK Thread Starter

Hi. let me start of saying im pretty new with PC's but i know a fair bit.
    I have a few questions regarding(the title of this post)

Ive never attempted over-clocking, nor do i know the steps/cautions/ect. I just know the very basics(i read the OCing sticky)
    Ive stumbled upon the act of "undervolting" earlier today and was curious.
    I've been surfing around learning a bit about them.

I play a lot of online gaming on cpu/gpu demanding games like arma2,bf3,gw2,ect.
    On BF3 my FPS runs around high 50s low 30s on low/medium settings.

soooo.. im eager in learning more about overclocking, and all-around improving pc performance, and this seems like a good place to start( apart from google ;).

In short: im asking for recommendations, tips, and just solid help.
    Specifications:
    Windows 7 64bit
    MB: AMD FM2
    CPU: AMD® A8-5600K, 3.6GHz, FM2 Quad Core Processor
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (2 x 4GB)
    GPU: R7850 DD 2gb
    PWR: 700watt power supply
    in a SX Black - Velocity Micro Classic Case - Midsized microATX
    - did i miss anything?? Its a stock computer(besides the gpu)

Temperatures:
    CPU: im only using 1 fan(i have a spare laying around) and the temperature is around 34c when im browsing the web. 60c+ when im on BF3.(its set at 100% power)

GPU: 27c browsing the web. Around 50c(maybe) when im gaming. (45% power)

ty4reading:eek:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

For starters - overclocking will shorten the life of components, sometimes drastically. Running things beyond the manufacturer's recommendations means that you are on your own, and you should be willing to risk losing the components you overclock.

That being said, it has become common enough that some boards come with directions. In most cases, the maker tells you that all bets are off and don't come to them when your board dies.

It can lead to instabilities when system timing is upset or some components just can't keep up with others. When that happens, you'll need to crank down on your changes.

For fellow overclockers: http://www.overclockers.com/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice