1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU/Graphics Overheating???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zman1764, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

I am constantly having problems with my PC locking up when I am playing games such as F.E.A.R., Age Of Empires III, and Far Cry, and on occassion, Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I have tried a ton of solutions and none of them have worked. I do remember putting thermal paste on it awhile ago (artic Silver 5), and I might have put a layer on that was too thick. Would that be causing it?

Also, i find that even when I play with the case open, i touch my graphics card (X850 pro PCI Express) and its freakin scorching! I swear its close to 100 Degrees Farenheigt!

Is there a program where I can test each component at one at a time (such as graphics card, CPU, Memory, and so forth)?

Is there any free CPU tprturing Programs?
    How about graphics card torturing programs?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I would never recommend putting thermal compound on a graphics card.

Your easiest and best solution may be to install an 80mm or 92mm fan in the removable panel aimed directly at the card. If you install a fan in this position I would highly recommend using a 3 piece fan filter as shown here;

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=92

It is very easy to remove the front of the filter to clean and dry the filter element.

3. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

thermal paste was applied to teh processor.
    I simply said that the graphics card was scorching.

I wanna know how I can eliminate which one it isnt the problem so i can solve what is the problem...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Download Everest and look under Computer -> Sensor for temps: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

100 degrees Farenheight is cool for a GPU. 100 degrees Celsuis on the other hand woudl be a severe problem.

5. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

100 farenheight...

I really belive its way too hot... I wish you could touch it. The second you touch it, it burns your finger, i swear its way too hot.

Is this abnormal for an X850 Pro? What are normal running temps for an X850 Pro?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    111 degrees farenheight at idle, thats only 44 degrees celsius. Its been a while since I taxed the card but I think its goes up to 70 degrees celsius, that 156 degrees F(?). Nothing abnormal for a modern GPU.

But if yours is scorching hot then it might be much higher the 100 F, have you looked at Everest to see what temps it shows?

7. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

ok, disregard my previous estimates.

I was just playing Freelancer for a good hour, and I had Everest Running the whole entire time. I checked it as soon as Freelancer Exited, and heres what I got:
    [​IMG]

Note that the Temperature of the GPU section was at 86C or 87C and the CPU temperature was at 75C when I exited, I kinda took the shot a little late...

im not sure about you guys, but 86 degrees Celcius for a sapphire brand Radeon X850 Pro PCI Express seems WAY too hot. I have never overclocked it before. I think it still might be under warrenty... Is it too hot?\

EDIT: Make sure you click the picture then use the little enlargement button in the Explorer window...

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Everything in your system is too hot. That means your room is very hot or the case has very poor cooling.

Do you have any case fans? Where are they located and what direction are they blowing?

9. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

Just got done playing F.E.A.R., and once again Everest was running in the background.

GPU Temperatures when exiting FEAR: 105 degrees Celcius, 210 Degrees Farenheight, WAY TOO FREAKIN HOT!

CPU also hit about 75 C (Pentium 4 520, 2.8 ghz)

As for case fans, I have an 80 mm in the front blowing in (which is partially blocked by my hard drives, and there isnt anything to get all of the air around them), 2 80 mm blowing out the back (which are working perfectly), and an 80 mm on the side of the case (which isnt doing anything right now [see below])

There are 5 computers in this room with me, and the size of the room is only about 12 by 9... Could that be it? if thats the case, the only way I can fix it is with water cooling.

You have to remember that every game that I play, the CASE IS ALWAYS OPEN. Both Freelancer AND FEAR Were both played with the CASE OPEN, and the temps were taken WITH THE CASE OPEN.

I guess watercooling is the only answer.

Any other thoughts?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well your CPU, motherboard, GPU ambient, and GPU core temps are all way too high.

Try unplugging the front fans and the side fan and put the side back on. Sometimes front fans do more harm then good.

How warm is the room?

11. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

the room is, well lets jsut say its pretty darn warm...

I'd say its between 74 and 78 in here. Probably too hot...

Ill try and unplug the front fan. How do they do harm? maybe its blowing ho air off the hard drive into the middle near the CPu and graphics card?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Too many fans can create turbulence in the case and just move around the warm air instead of drawing in cool air and venting it out the back.

13. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

should I make the front fan blow air out of the case instead of making it blow into it?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, for now I'd just disconnect them and see if there's a difference.

15. Zman1764

Zman1764 Thread Starter

Ok I have had the front fan unplugged for quite some time now and I am still getting freezes, but not as many as before. Im still not sure what exactly is overheating but something definitly is, and I belive its the graphics card.

I might be buying a new one soon however because I cannot play X3 Reunion with my X850, as the framerates are too low or the wuality level is so low that I cant bear to play it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice