1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU i7 4790K ~100 C while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lacri43, May 1, 2015.

?

Why is my CPU overheating?

Poll closed May 8, 2015.
  1. Needs thermal paste renewal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Needs a better / aftermarket fan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cause of the high CPU voltage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Drivers need update

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Defective CPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacri43

Lacri43 Thread Starter

Okay... I'm like the gamer type of person. I built this pc 2 weeks ago: Motherboard H97M-PLUS // CPU Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz // 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (Gigabyte).

The first day I got on my new pc I remember myself checking the temps and everything was good... but not THAT good as I expected. Well everything was at low 40 (idle)- when my old pc barely touched 40 C (idle).
    Today I decided to check those temps for the first time after many hours of gaming. It was a simple configuration check, till I saw my CPU reaching 98 C.

Exited the game (The Sims4 - high graphics etc) -> CPU's temp immediately fell down to 67 C going up to 78 C and down again.

After a bit of time idle my CPU's temp stabilized to ~50 C.

Tried to launch Heroes of The Storm (MOBA game - not THAT high graphics even in options) -> CPU's temp went up to 80 C in like no time.

I googled almost everything.

-I read about the "lack of thermal paste" situation (I know how important that is cause once my old pc's GPU had high temps and that solved the problem, but this one was like 5 years old.... my CPU now is 2 weeks old. How could it not be like brand new?)

-I read about the "fan" thing and "i7's must have an aftermarket fan". Yeah, I got the stock's one... but come on... I know people having i7 with it's stock fan on and not such a problem ever occured to them. (Anyways.. I really tend to wish that this is to blame)

-...I also read about the CPU voltage. To be honest: I have not a single clue of these things. Though what I almost felt after reading the opinions of many pc-insiders, is that this could be the problem for real. I never got to change anything in BIOS. I don't even know if that's for sure to be at fault.

In overall I need guidance please...
    and thank you in advance.

P.S. I have attached a screenshot with all the info that you might need to know about my PC specs, temps etc

Attached Files:

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

First question, what thermal paste did you use and how much did you apply?

What is the exact make, model and wattage of your power supply? The voltages look OK in that screenshot but what happens to the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails when you put the system under load? HWMonitor is not as reliable as it used to be in my opinion, as you have an Asus board have a look here:

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97MPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Look under utilities for your board and OS and you should see Asus PC Probe II, that is likely to give you the best and most accurate readings.

What case are you using and what size is it (midi tower, full tower etc)?

What case fans do you have in place and what direction do they blow the air?

Are you overclocking anything?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see one big glaring issue here; you post that you are a gamer however the mb you installed is NOT a board designed for gaming. It is a micro board that is mid-level [at best] When you use a board that is really designed for basic use, you are asking for problems. High end boards have heavy duty VRs, heavy duty capacitors, improved chipset cooling. All of these things are necessary if you expect to get good performance out of a gaming system. This is an example of a board designed for gaming;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979

Next the hsf or cooler. An i7 works fine with the stock cooler as long as you do not game, render video, or overclock. If you do any of the above, you need a quality hsf.

Next would be the case. Do you have a case designed for good airflow/cooling or are you using a low end case?

As asked above, post the exact pw supply you are using.

Have you checked your mounting of the stock hsf? If not, do so. The stock intel hsf can be a real pain for a new builder to actually get installed correctly. With the case open and system OFF, grab hold of the hsf. Does it move easily or is it pretty tightly attached? Now grab hold of each push pin; are any of them loose?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice