1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gerproud, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerproud

gerproud Thread Starter

I have a compaq sr1650 nx amd athum 64 3500+. Currently running win xp media edition. It was filthy inside so i was cleaning it and the cpu and fan came loose so i removed it to continue cleaning. when i put it back i used the correct paste or grease needed to reattach the fan to the cpu. I installed it and when i turn it on the fan doesnt stop running and i have no monitor. what could have happened? cant see any error codes because the monitor doesnt come up. ive checked to be sure nothing is loose.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did the cpu come out with the hsf still attached?

3. gerproud

gerproud Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. the whole thing ended up coming out. the fan was soooo dirty inside. so it all came out which is why i had to use the special stuff on the top where the fan attaches

4. gerproud

gerproud Thread Starter

when i put it back in i was very careful NOT to bend any pins. doesnt mean i was successful tho.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, when you pull out a cpu without releasing the lock lever, you almost always either bend or break a pin. You can get a magnifying glass and check the pins. In addition, check the socket for any pins left in the socket.

For future reference, here is how you remove a hsf that is stuck or will not lift off.

1 System OFF, release the cam lock and spring clips
    2 Pw ON and let the system run for a min or two
    3 Pw OFF and lift the hsf off. It will now come off without removing the cpu
    4 Release lock lever and remove CPU [if needed]

Just my opinion however this system is so old that it is not worth putting any money into fixing. It is at least 5 generations old tech and that is multiple lifetimes in the computer world.

If you can fix it by pulling the hsf/cpu and just straightening a bent pin, that is fine. Anything else that requires a part is too much money.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW when you reinstall the hsf and cpu, clean all parts with either 99% or 91% alcohol. Do not use the 60 or 70% stuff you find in the supermarket; it contains lanolin and can leave a residue. Once all parts are clean and dry, apply a small amount of compound to the center of the cpu [about the size of a BB or just slightly more] Install the hsf and clips however do not lock down the camlock. Give the hsf a few twists back and forth; now lock down the cam lock. Connect the fan lead and you are done.

Some common errors;
    1 Not cleaning the cpu and hsf adequately. Parts must be cleaned of all residual ie old compound. I use coffee filters moistened with the alcohol. These work very well since they are slightly abrasive.
    2 Using too much thermal compound. Apply only a BB sized drop in the center of the cpu. Use too much and it acts as an insulator and impedes heat transfer.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    For the Compaq Presario SR1650NX desktop:

Upgrading Or Replacing The Processor

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. gerproud

gerproud Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your advise. This computer works so well and never had any problems with it that i would love to try and repair it first. Would you suggest then replacing the processor the best way to repair it?

9. gerproud

gerproud Thread Starter

Thanks for the link also.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing I would do would be to pull the hsf and cpu. Examine the cpu closely with a magnifying glass to check for bent/broken pins. If you find a bent pin, you can use the edge of a credit card to straighten the pin.

Make sure there are no pins sitting in the socket ie turn the board over and tap gently to be sure. Once you are sure all of pins are straight, reinstall the cpu with new thermal compound.

If you have to replace the cpu, ebay had 3500+ cpus for approx $5 or so.

As I said before, it is not cost effective to repair this system. If you get the cpu for just a few $, then maybe. Anything over $20 is just not worth the cost.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice