1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Installation.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCMan78, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I have some New P4 Socket 478 Genuine Intel Heatsink/Fans and was wondering what the correct way to install these things were. I have been putting thermal grease inbetween the black film on the heatsink and the cpu. One of my tech friends told me that I shouldn't do that. He said that the black film on the heatsink is thermal grease. Do I need grease?

2. pronute

pronute

Your friend is correct, and if you use to much heat sink grease it will act like a insulator holding in the heat, if you already spread the grease on the thermal compound you have contaminated it already, scrape off the compound until the heat sink is clean then replace it with a paper thin layer of fresh heat sink compound about an inch square.

3. Annorax

Annorax

^ Yes, I agree. Too much will cause heat problems since it will hold in the heat.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, it's worse than holding the heat, it ends up serving as an insulator. HS compound doesn't conduct heat in large gobs all that well, it's primary purpose is to fill the tiny voids in the two surfaces to aid heat transfer. I've seen military equipment where they polished the two surfaces and used nothing between them for maximum heat transfer.

5. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I'll start putting nothing on them if they have the black thermal film on the heatsink. The computer systems have been working fine so far. They have been running for about 2 weeks with no problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice