1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU-intensive (but AV-clean) executables causing sluggishness

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by longtalker, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longtalker

longtalker Banned Thread Starter

Dear Tech Support Guy community,

My PC (info below) has been sluggish for a while, and having lately kept a close eye on the most CPU-demanding processes under Task Manager (under zero-load conditions, i.e. empty taskbar), I have a list of three suspect executables.

• ZenworksWindowsService.exe - part of the Novell network software that is embedded with this PC's OS
    • id_tray.exe - runs iDrive, a cloud backup service that I've set up to run daily, typically from 3pm till about 3:20pm
    • WmiPrvSE.exe - apparently a legitimate Windows service
    The AV that is installed on all my company's PCs (of which this is one), SOphos, has, for some reason, stopped updating correctly for a while, as you can see int he log below. Since I never found that particular AV helpful anyway, I've scanned the above 3 exe's at virustotal.com, which I'd have thought is also more up-to-date. All three of them seem clean, even after requesting a re-analysis.

How else can I check whether these exe's have somehow become infected/hijacked? I am not really up-to-speed with how the latest malware infects PCs nowadays, so it might not be as simple as it used to, i.e. identifying&cleaning specific exe's. I know HijackThis is a very good tool for detecting malware that hijacks a PC's resources, however afaik it is for *browser* hijackings in particular, whereas right now my suspicions lie with the above-mentioned exe's.

I should add that I am using the free version of "Windows 8 Firewall Control" (even though I run Win7), which unfortunately gives the user no control over exe's located in system folders (which is the case for WmiPrvSE.exe).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4051 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1801 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 61232 MB, Free - 4065 MB; D: Total - 177075 MB, Free - 80995 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DW634
    Antivirus: Sophos Anti-Virus, Not Updated

2. valis

valis Moderator

Howdy. From the 'everyone must read prior to posting' sticky.......;)

as a result, closing.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice