CPU is too hot!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saleen355

I have an Athlon XP 2500+ processor on a Foxconn motherboard. My computer was fine at first it would run around 60 degrees Celsius with the side panel off. Then yesterday my computer kept forcefully shutting down. I checked to see what my temperature was then I seen it at 102 degrees Celsius. I immediately shut down my computer, cleaned the whole thing with an air duster, and it continues running at 90 degrees. I have a fan and it runs around 4500 rpm. Why is my CPU running hot so suddenly? What do I have to do to fix it?

techkid

David
Even with the side panel off, it is pretty toasty in there. How many fans (besides the CPU and power supply fans) do you have on it?

Also, what is the temperature in the area around the computer?

saleen355 said:
I have an Athlon XP 2500+ processor on a Foxconn motherboard. My computer was fine at first it would run around 60 degrees Celsius with the side panel off. Then yesterday my computer kept forcefully shutting down. I checked to see what my temperature was then I seen it at 102 degrees Celsius. I immediately shut down my computer, cleaned the whole thing with an air duster, and it continues running at 90 degrees. I have a fan and it runs around 4500 rpm. Why is my CPU running hot so suddenly? What do I have to do to fix it?
i think youre beyond air duster, 60 is too hot 102 is rediculous. remove the cpu heat sink clean cpu thourghly with 90% or better alcohol (q-tips work good) then witout touching your clean heat sink and cpu surface apply a small amount of arctic silver 5 theraml paste (rice grain size) spread thin layer (thickness of a sheet of paper) over entire surface of cpu reinstall heatsink, be carefull to notice the stepped shape of heat sink and install properly.

Are you sure you don't have your Celsius and Fahrenheit mixed up? 102C is insane, I think it would die instantly at that temperature...

Anyway, like brite750 said, put new thermal grease on and make sure the heatsink is seated correctly...even without thermal grease, a properly seated heatsink shouldn't let the CPU get to 102C.

crjdriver

60C with the side panel off is NOT fine; it is too hot. That cpu should not go over approx 50C unless you are seriously overclocking it. I agree you probably do not have the hsf installed correctly. As the above posters have said; pull the hsf and install it correctly.

crjdriver

BTW I doubt that the poster has gotten C and F confused. 60F would be 15C and those chips do not run that cool. The coolest I could get an xp type chip to run was around 36C in a cool room.

well a room temp of 70 degrees aint that comfy in celsius. make sure that the system fan is running properly, not intermittently. I recommend adding a fan to the system as well.

crjdriver

hrtbob said:
well a room temp of 70 degrees aint that comfy in celsius. make sure that the system fan is running properly, not intermittently. I recommend adding a fan to the system as well.
Gee it is only 158F, that is not too bad:eek: :eek: :eek:

saleen355

I assure you that I do not have celsius and farenheit mixed up. My computer specifically said that it was 102 C (216 F) My computer keeps forcefully shutting down. The only thing I can think why my cpu is running so hot is because I used too much thermal paste when installing it, but could that be it?

I'm listening to what brite750 said. But now I have no clue how to remove the heatsink and fan. I tried for an hour last night, and it wouldn't come off.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, too much thermal paste is frequently worse than none at all! You need a paper thin coating of paste across the entire surface. Also, the alignment of the HS is very important, sometimes you can get them slightly cocked, and I've even had an Intel board where the bracket came loose from the board.

crjdriver

FWIW I almost always pull the board to change hsf. This way you are assured of getting the hsf installed correctly [at least you can see if it is sitting on the lip for the socket]

Pulling the board also insures that you can put your fingers underneath the board when installing the hsf. This will stop the board from cracking.

If your case has a lot of room, you might get by with just moving / pulling a drive or two.

Yes too much thermal compound will act as an insulator keeping the cpu from dissipating its heat. The purpose of the thermal compound is to fill in the microscopic peaks and valleys between the cpu and the hsf. If both were perfectly machined, you would not need the compound.

saleen355

I did what brite750 said, and now my CPU doesn't go over 50 C. Thank you all for your support.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online