1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU just shutsdown and won't turn on...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nightfyre, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nightfyre

Nightfyre Thread Starter

Ok, I was working on a new CPU, and it was booting up fine, I could get to the desktop, etc.

So I turn it off and install a CD-ROM and Floppy drive into it, it gets to the loading Windows screen....and everything goes black, no harddrive action, and the power light is still on. I turn the CPU off, but if I try to turn it on all that happens is the HD light blinks once, but nothing else. I'm a bit scared wondering what is screwed up here....

2. mobo

mobo

Unhook those devices and try rebooting again..

3. Nightfyre

Nightfyre Thread Starter

I did, no difference. I'm also tried checking the processor out, and noticed something odd. I don't know much about computers, and a friend built this for me, but should there be a square shape upon the bottom of the heatsink, the same shape as the processor? That worries me...It also won't ever power on witht he processor out, no light blinking once now.

4. mobo

mobo

Yes, thats the thermal pad and should not have been removed...The pdc will not power up with out the cpu attached anyway...Does the hard drive flicker at all with the cpu back in ?

5. Nightfyre

Nightfyre Thread Starter

Nope, even with it all back in it won't flash at all. The green light on my motherboard is on, and I've tried resetting the CMOS but it made no difference. (A side note, some of the black square upon the heatsink is on the processor, could this be due to a not powerful enough heatsink, causing overheating, or is this alright?)

6. mobo

mobo

Did you happen to change the ide cables while trying to install the cd device ?

7. Nightfyre

Nightfyre Thread Starter

I had hooked up a new IDE cable, since the other was taken up by my two harddrives. I've also tried different outlets just to check, and no difference.

8. mobo

mobo

The hard drive must be on the primary IDE and set as master with the cdrom on a different ide altogether as well as for the folppy.

9. Nightfyre

Nightfyre Thread Starter

I just realized my problem, or so it seems....
    I seemed to have put the jumper on the CMOS on backwards(Not on the wrong prongs, but spun around), I just turned it around and it works. I'm sorry to waste your time with something as stupid as this, thank you for your help.

10. mobo

mobo

well we all learned something so its no waste of time and congrats for figuring it out..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice