1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Killer?

Discussion in 'Games' started by K-Man, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Okay, I suppose I should ask...

My brother has an old game he wants to play on the computer. It was made for a 286 or 386 basically. A friend explained that these old games used the clock speed differently somehow; which explained why the game ran at warp ten on this PII 350Mhz.

A little web searching turned up something called "CPU Killer". It's basically designed to bog down the cpu, and therefore, slow down the game to a playable speed. I just wonder if it's okay to use or not.

Does anyone know anything about this? I promised him I'd try to find a way for him to play his "X-Com: Terror from the Deep".

Thanks!

2. McTimson

McTimson

Yea, I've heard that they do work. I think there's also a patch for X-com though that makes it run right....not sure where I got it, search Google for a while.

3. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Thanks McTimson!

I figured there might be someone who knew about the CPU Killer app, but I wasn't sure if anyone would know X-Com. X-Com devoured many an hour for me, especially when it was released for the original Playsation console. :eek:

I wonder: do you know a good source for any other "old school" computer games like that? I don't really have the power for these newer games, and my brother mostly plays games on PS2 or Gamecube, but there are some other oldies out there which were fun, and probably wouldn't hog my resources too much.

Thanks again!

K-Man :)

4. McTimson

McTimson

There was a site theunderdogs, or the-underdogs, or something like that, it was .net, I believe....it has tons of old games on it, worth taking a look.

5. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Hey, thanks again! I'll have to take a look.

K-Man

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice