CPU light on mobo, no signal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ljcollin

Had some ram spare from an old build, tried to install it into my pc. Seemed okay, got into the BIOS and everything seemed normal - the new sticks were recognised. went to restart, and the cpu light is on my motherboard, fans spinning but no signal to monitor. have tried removing the new ram, still no luck. Help!? literally finished this build like a week ago :.(

MSI B450 gaming plus
Ryzen 5 3600
2x Corsair Vengeance lpx 8gb 3600hz
(2x Corsair Vengeance lpx 4gb 3000hz)

Your list of parts is missing the brand and model name or number for both the add on GPU and the PSU, can you post them for us.

Got to ask, have you checked that you have not connected the screen to one of the video ports on the MB instead of the add on GPU.

ljcollin

Your list of parts is missing the brand and model name or number for both the add on GPU and the PSU, can you post them for us.

Got to ask, have you checked that you have not connected the screen to one of the video ports on the MB instead of the add on GPU.
ASUS PHOENIX OC GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER
EVGA 500 BR

yep, the monitor’s plugged into the gpu. I’m not getting power to my keyboard or mouse either, and the monitor’s turning on but not finding a source.

The keyboard and mouse not getting power could be due to the USB ports being disabled but the red CPU light is telling you that there is a problem with the CPU and likewise the no signal message on the monitor is telling you that the video card is not providing any video signal.

Some questions if I may;

Is this a complete new build or had you been using the computer without issue and the problem only arose after you added this other RAM.

Are both of the below securely connected to the MB, don`t press too hard or the board will flex and crack.

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector

Is the CPU fan connected to the correct fan header on the MB.

Is the CPU fan one of those that you mention as spinning.

ljcollin

The keyboard and mouse not getting power could be due to the USB ports being disabled but the red CPU light is telling you that there is a problem with the CPU and likewise the no signal message on the monitor is telling you that the video card is not providing any video signal.

Some questions if I may;

Is this a complete new build or had you been using the computer without issue and the problem only arose after you added this other RAM.

Are both of the below securely connected to the MB, don`t press too hard or the board will flex and crack.

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector

Is the CPU fan connected to the correct fan header on the MB.

Is the CPU fan one of those that you mention as spinning.
It’s a recent build, but it has been working fine before i added the new sticks. All of the connectors are in the right places, and the cpu fan is spinning.

Long shot but have you tried pulling the CMOS battery and leaving it out for a while so it clears any possible bad BIOS settings.

Because the build has previously been fully working and you have done the other checks it looks like something may have been damaged when the new RAM was added, possibly something getting shorted :(

Others may have more but I can only suggest trying another PSU and doing a barebones set up outside of the case on a large piece of cardboard.

ljcollin

i’ve sorted it! i shorted my CMOS and it’s running now. i think my xmp profile probably made it go funny, since the new ram sticks are a different speed. Thanks for your help!

Well that was coincidental us both thinking of the CMOS at the exact same time :giggle:

A bad OC could cause such an issue, not with the RAM but with the CPU which ties in with you getting the lit up CPU LED.

Glad you got it sorted in any event, thanks for the follow up and you are welcome (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online