1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Liquid Cooling System Troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dancinghomer, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dancinghomer

dancinghomer Thread Starter

I recently posted a thread in the Vista forums about troubles I've been having with my computer. My computer has been shutting down a lot, and I initially thought it was because of the new RAM that I installed. This may have just been a coincidence because I now believe the PC is powering down whenever the CPU overheats, as a result of my cooling system malfunctioning. I am currently using a Cooler Master AquagateS1.

After the PC has been inactive for a while, I go into the BIOS and watch the PC Health Monitor, which displays the CPU temp rise from around 30 degrees all the way to 110 degrees Celsius, promptly followed by the system shutting down. I don't know a whole lot about liquid cooling systems, but I did watch the tubes as I turned it on, and didn't see any of the fluids (or bubbles in the fluid) more or show any signs of flow, as I know it's supposed to do. The computer is still under CyberPowerPC's 3-year warranty, and I want to avoid having to ship it out to Cali for them to take a look, and bringing it to a local PC repair center is another option. Is there anything I can do from home to resolve this issue? And if there's any more information you need to know, feel free to ask.

2. brite750

brite750

well i know you need to have the cooling pump going, if it is not running then you will get the result you are having, i would review any directions that came with the unit very carefully, a call to the vendor may also be in order

3. brite750

brite750

a word of warning though your warantee may be voided if you do too much DIY stuff

4. brite750

brite750

after looking at it it seems to be a very simple thing. the water block, the thing mounted to the cpu is also a pump, 2 hoses connect it with the radiator, heat exchanger, which is no more than a small radiator core with a 120mm fan blowing over it. That 120mm fan and the pump both need to be on when the pc is on, is that happening ?

5. brite750

brite750

it looks like pump/water block should be plugged into cpu_fan header on MB and the radiator needs to ne powered as well. There also appears to be a pot to control fan speed that would have to be turned up

6. dancinghomer

dancinghomer Thread Starter

Well, last night for a few hours, I guess my Aquagate decided to be nice to me. After "professionally fiddling" with the system, I discovered that the "Warning! Remove this sticker before placing on cpu!" sticker was still on the bottom of the pump. I guess the workers at CyberPowerPC are illiterate? Whatever.

I removed the sticker and put the system back together and tried it out. The CPU fan speed, which was previously being read at 0 rpm was now reading at 3k rpm! Huzzah. I decided to see if i could still install the new RAM without the problem reoccurring, but I was wrong. After a rearrangement of the cards, it did turn back on though. <shrug>

I decided to run the test I had gotten from memtest.org and it ran flawlessly, and I let that run for a couple hours (the longest it had been on for a loooong time). I then rebooted the system and started to run the Windows recovery disc [Note: A few days prior, before what I knew what the root of the problem was, I tried running the recovery disc, and the PC shut down mid-process.]. Lo and behold, before the process could even begin, the BSOD returned. I then went back into DOS and it showed that the CPU fan was yet again back at 0 rpm.

It basically looks like the water pump module is powering on and off randomly. I still can't tell what is causing this, nor how to resolve it. Any tips would be much appreciated.

7. brite750

brite750

Wow, that is really stupid, wont buy anything from them.
    Well the waterblock/pump thing that goes on the cpu has to be installed properly, cleaning both contact surfaces with alcohol 90% and then apllying the right amount of thermal paste, you cant just stick it on there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice