1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu list ? Which is better? Simple stuff .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trutechnology, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trutechnology

trutechnology Thread Starter

hello im looking to purchase another computer . only problem of course is my budget is low and i dont know what im buying .:confused: Im looking for someone to possibly help in my decision making and or to supply a cpu list so i can distinguish the computer im buying .
    at the current moment i work off a Gateway NE56R41u / Intel B960 processor / 500gb HDD/ 4gb DDR3 Ram / intel HD Graphics / DVD -Super Multi DL drive .

i do alot of photoshop work .

A lot of multitasking .

A dvd super multi is super important although i dont mind buying an external or purchasing separate and installing myself. i back up all my kids games for there safety so one compliant to that will do.

I would assume more ram the faster the PC ? i need my computer to be super swift .
    500gb HDD or more .

looking to spend $300 tops .

was looking to order possibly off newegg : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

or tiger direct : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat..._1808_120424_120424&Sort=1&pageSize=30&Page=2

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I doubt that you can find a used/refurbished laptop with the horsepower and speed you want in it for $300.00 or less. :eek:

-----------------------------------------------

4. trutechnology

the laptop that i use now is quiet suitable and sells for under $300 . the price is really not specific but as low as possible would be awesome . i seen an intel i5 with 6-8gb ram 500+gb hdd and thought that would be awesome , all under $300 ?

although the styles seem out of date the equipment inside is what i care for

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    which i5 ?
    some can be quite slow - but otherwise that looks like an OK spec

6. trutechnology

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5WM23R3702

I believe this even sells cheaper than my current laptop . I never realized it doesn't matter what CPU type ? EX: pentium (as i have) Core 2 Duo , i5, i3 , i7 etc , some may be faster that others ?

so i basically believed stepping into i5 from pentium would be better overall . not to mention double the ram 4gb > 8gb and 250 more gigabytes of hhd space.

7. trutechnology

doesnt have the supermulti but an external may have to do (n):rolleyes:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats why i use the cpu benchmark test - i posted the link to

9. trutechnology

thats very much so appreciated . i guess side but side comparisons will be my only way . i never realized it was as complex .

10. trutechnology

and going according to these regulations
    Passmark CPU Mark
    (higher is better)

Rank
    (lower is better)

Its evident that a processor? / CPU of actual lower standards may have a much higher value ? Why is this so ?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean by lower standards? Models are not designated by lower or higher standards but by features. Post an example of what you are comparing.

There's more to a CPU then a model number, for example a 1.6Ghz Core i5 is going to be slower than an 3.2 Ghz Pentium processor even though the i5 is considered to be a higher tier processor than a Pentium. Also a newer generation processor is going to be faster than the same clocked processor from a previous generation.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice