1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU, Mainboard & Memory speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjohnsimon, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjohnsimon

tjohnsimon Thread Starter

I am using computers for the last 20 years and know some basics about the hardware & PC operations, I am planning for a new higher end P4 PC with All in wonder graphics card & LIVE wire sound with speakers and all,
    I need to clarify
    1. should the processor & mother board speed be same?,
    2. If I choose a RAM with (speed ?) of 333MHZ and use a mother board with 800MHZ, Is it a mismatch or underrating the board capabilities?.
    4. To simplify my question what are the difference in using a
    a.) 533MHZ processor / 533MHZ board with 400MHZ RAM
    b.) 800MHZ processor / 533 MHZ board with 333 MHZ RAM.
    c.) 800MHZ processor / 800 MHZ board with 400MHZ RAM

Thanks

2. Training

Training

1) I'm not really sure what you mean by motherboard speed, its more about what processor your board will support. As long as your board supports the processor your looking at your good to go. I suppose its possible that a board won't be able to support certain special features of the processor if there are any, so its best to read the specs of the processor and board to make sure their compatible.

2) Again its really a matter of the board supporting a certain speed of memory. Usually boards will have a few configurations of memory they support, just make sure the memory you want is supported by the board.

4) b, I think means the board will not support the processor, a and c should both work fine but c will have faster througput performance.

If you find the exact brand and make of motherboard and processor your intrested in you can usually get a nice manual from the manufacturer's website. Just make sure everything is compatible before you buy it and you will be ok.

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

Actually, none of the above work together. What you are asking about is call the buss speed. It's how fast the requests are sent between the components. You have to match front side buss speeds. Your mobo must be able to run at the same fsb as the processor. An 800 fsb mobo is usually compatible with 800 and 533 and usually with 400 fsb processors. A 533 fsb mobo will not be able to run an 800 fsb proc., but will be compat with a 533 and a 400 fsb proc. As for the memory side of this equation, use the fastest memory your mobo is designed for.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!