1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU max memory speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyer0101, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    Hey everyone,

I was looking at building a new PC mostly from scratch the only thing I'll be carrying over is my current graphics card and initially my current HDD's until everything is moved across to the new HDD's.

I have already ordered a few parts so ill link them here:

• Corsair 300R Case (link)
    • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (link)
    • 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda HDD (link)
    • Z170A Gaming M5 Motherboard (link)
    • Corsair 850W 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply (link)
    Now over the next few weeks I play on ordering the remaining parts RAM, CPU, CPU Cooler, CD/DVD Drive, ECT.

in particular I was going to purchase the new Intel i7 CPU, I seen the mobo supported 2400Mhz (without O.C) and thought great I can get that speed, but I noticed the CPU only supports 2133Mhz.

So I am wondering is it worth O.C the CPU to get a faster speed of RAM. If it is worth it and if it isn't difficult is it something I should look at doing on the motherboard as well? I.E instead of going for 2400Mhz and O.C only the CPU should I go for something like 2800Mhz and O.C both the motherboard and CPU.

Now I've never overclocked anything before so it would only be something I'd be interested in doing if it was a similar process (editing bios settings ECT something I am familiar with).

Just to give you the products I'd be looking at are (I'm also wanting to get 32Gb's of RAM):

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me as I wasn't able to find much out there to give me the info.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Were it to be me I would make sure you go for ram that is on the MSI list
    http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#support-mem
    I would also recommend that you do not OC
    If you are definite on your desire to OC to enable ram speed greater than serial presence detect on the CPU then check carefully the ram OC list
    http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#support-ocmem
    as you will note that many of the ram selections do not support 4 Dimm

The actual difference between 2133 and greater will in practical real life terms be unnoticeable
    OC is generally a way to achieve no real benefits on system of this quality but at risk of temp problems - if you do intend to OC you need then to consider carefully case airflow - although I have not checked the spec on the case and your intentions re fan cooling as against CPU cooling.

3. Macboatmaster

Do you still require advice please with this

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just my opinion; I overclock just about everything.
    However, remember there is NO safe overclock. ALL overclocking entails some degree of risk. I have a saying; "Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"

Next, I doubt you would see any real world difference between 2133 ram and 2400 ram. You might see a slight difference on a benchmark however that would be about it.

Again just my opinion; I would really really go with either a gigabyte board or an asus board. MSI is at best a mid-level mfg.

5. Macboatmaster

I agree re ram
    I am not a fan of OC but I totally agree with my colleague there is no safe OC
    Although it is only my opinion on a board of that spec and with an i7 and that ram and SSD providing the graphics has good spec to match, I am not sure as I said what real gains you will see from OC

6. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    Thanks for the advice guys, in this case I've never O.C my stuff before and I think ill keep it that way again. Just out of curosity how hard is it to to overclock the CPU to run the faster RAM speeds?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Normally you would not OC the processor; you would simply up the ram multiplier in the uefi or bios. You could do it the way you asked about by upping the blck or what used to be called the FSB [front side bus] That would OC both the cpu and the ram.

Generally the way you OC intel cpus [the unlocked or "K" series] is by upping the multi rather than the blck.
    There is no need to OC the cpu to use the faster ram speed. Just adjusting the ram speed in the uefi/bios would do it.

High end mb have a LOT of adjustments or settings in the uefi to accomplish overclocking.

8. Macboatmaster

On boards like the one you proposed here and on ones mentioned by my colleague of equivalent standard eg gigabyte
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/main.aspx?s=42

which by the way I also agree with my colleague - I prefer them for their reputation over and above MSI - OC in basic form is simple as it is usually nothing more than a couple of mouse clicks
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#hero-overview
    see game boost

and catered for on the i7
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
    generally IMHO and I am by no means skilled on OC - the presets such as explained on the board and on the intel link are far safer than individually raising voltages and changing ram timings etc.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW if you purchase a locked cpu, then the only way to OC the cpu would be by upping the blck feq. This would not effect your ability to OC the ram by upping the ram speed or multi.

10. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    Okay thanks a lot guys have really helped me.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!