1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU/Mobo/GFX for £400-

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azmodeus, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azmodeus

Azmodeus Thread Starter

Hello,

I currently have a Radeon 9800 Pro, and a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU.
    As I type this, my graphics card is screwed! Big coloured verticle lines are over my screen. It's not a loose monitor lead, because the lines show up on a screenshot. I have had problems with my graphics card before, and as before, the solution is to open up the computer, wiggle the card, then turn the computer back on. But having to do this every few minutes is not an option. So I am now in the market for a graphics card.

The problem is, nowdays you need a PCI-E card to have anything worthwhile. I want to upgrade my card, rather than just replacing it, which will mean having to buy a motherboard too.

Unfortunately, my CPU is a socket A, meaning I am severely restricted to what I can buy motherboard-wise. So I think my best bet would be to upgrade that too.

The main problem is that I only have £400 to spend.

So I need a CPU as good as or better than 2.5Ghz, a graphics card better than a 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, and a motherboard to sit them all on. I don't care if they are NVidia/Radeon/AMD/Intel parts, as long as they are good, and within a £400 price limit.
    I play a lot of games, so I need parts which can handle some of the newer games. Not necessarily at top-quality, but a nice smooth FPS would be nice.

Please can I get some advice on what parts to buy, and some good reliable online shops in the UK to buy them from?
    Normally I would do this research myself, but trying to read through these annoying lines is giving me eyestrain. I would be very appreciative if I could get some help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice