1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU/Motherboard temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by youngros, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youngros

youngros Thread Starter

Two PCs running at around 35/37 degC and CPU fan running around 800 to 1900rpm. The third PC which is around 3 years old runs at 45 degC on the CPU and 54degC on the mobo and the CPU fan is running at up to 3000rpm, which would explain why it is noisy. Is this too high? The heatsink is dusty, but I've not bucked up courage to remove it and clean it yet. Local guy suggested vacuuming it:( I've got some thermal paste but no air yet. Should I be looking at changing the heatsink and fan and adding a bigger case fan to cool things down?

Rosalind

2. BG-0

BG-0

Blow the dust out with canned air. 3-5$ a can. (please do it outside :)) Vacuuming works but it's risky. I do it myself, but you can potentially permanently damage the whole system, so it's not recommended. 45 is not extremely high, the CPU will work at 60-70 just fine, but it's not healthy. Don't spend money to bring the temps down, after you undust it, it should be running at low enough temperatures.

If the fan keeps running at high speeds and annoys you, you might want to consider replacing it, or using BIOS settings to keep the speed at reasonable levels. Post your system model or motherboard/CPU model if you want advice on that side of this.

3. youngros

youngros Thread Starter

Can of air will probably cost me more than that here, thermal paste was being sold in computer shop for 9€ and local guy had same stuff (coolermaster) for 3€ but he didn't have any air, so will have to wait until next week and pay the price for some. Just a bit worried about blowing the dust over the rest of the motherboard.

Fan getting up to around 4000rpm, but no increase in temperature.

ASUS P5L-MX motherboard with intel pentium 4 3.00Ghz processor.

4. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Cans of air cost would cost a lot - IF you could get them where I am as well. We just use a standard compressor and airgun (like found at local car repair places). Dust on the motherboard is not a problem. A clogged heat sink IS a problem. In a pinch, a small paint brush can be used to brush out most of the gunk. IF you do pull the heat sink and fan assembly to put fresh thermal paste inplace, remember that the thinnest possible amount between the CPU and the HSF is the goal. Extra paste = LESS heat transfer = less cooling.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice