1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU not running at correct speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Just installed a q6600 cpu into my p5b board (which has been updated to most recent bios). However it is running at 1.6 ghz, not 2.4. Anybody give me any help?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It appears your board supports the q6600. Did you clear rtc before you powered up the board with the new cpu installed?

3. tony oh

tony oh

I had something similar when I put my q6600 into my board 1st time it defaulted to a fsb of 200mhz. I just raised it in the bios to 266mhz and it stuck.

4. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

I'm not too familiar with bios settings so I haven't made any changes and I would be slightly wary of doing it myself. I don't know what rtc is can anyone give me a step by step guide to doing this?

I ran a cpu-z test if that is helpful, I've attached the screen shot.

Attached Files:

5. tony oh

tony oh

I looked at your pics. On the last one it shows the fsb is correct but your multiplier is at - 6 and it should be at - 9

If you press the "del" key at post screen you can enter the bios.

On my mobo I have to enter MIT and then change the multiplier/cpu clock ratio to 9.
    Your's will be set at 6.
    Press F10 to exit and save.

It's probably the best way to do it.

6. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Thanks for the help tony,

I did check that in the bios right now but it showed up as 9. Is it possible that the reason it is showing the lower speed is because it is in power saving mode or something? When I play games will it go up to its full speed?

7. AustinM

AustinM

Yes, if you have speedstep enabled.

Speedstep will drop your multiplier (like from 9 to 6) to reduce heat/power dissipation while idle.

Use a load program like Orthos, OCCT or wPrime to load your cpu to 100%. (you'll need 2x orthos with affinity for 1 set to 0/1 core and affinity for 2 set to 2/3 cores)

8. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

matacles.. you are correct. If you go to the power options, you can change the "power scheme" from "minimal power management" to "home/office desktop" you will be running 2.4Ghz all the time. Well i don't know how vista is organized so i don't know if they changed any of the terms for power settings. Even though i have an AMD, when the load is light my multiplier is x5 but under load x10. So i vary from 1.3Ghz for each core to 2.6Ghz. And yes if you do something load intensive, it will automatically increase to 2.4Ghz.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice