CPU not up to speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

C&C

I've heard before that a program like SiSoft Sandra may not be the most accurate in the world, but it's reporting my Athlon XP 1800+ CPU with a speed of 1.53GHz.

I've got an ECS K7S5A motherboard and I don't believe I have any option to increase voltages or FSB speeds. I'm currently not overclocking it (nor have I) but may be interested in doing so in the future.

I guess my question is, is SiSoft Sandra correct in that my CPU is only running at 1.53GHz? Is this related to the voltage and FSB set by my board? If I do manage to overclock it in the future and bring it up to 1.8GHz, would I need to invest in extra cooling to prevent it cooking itself?

er...wow...

What saleman/salewoman told you that an AMD 1800+ runs a 1.8 GHZ? If someone told you that then they where smoking something they shouldn't be smoking.

Read AMD's whitepaper on their explaination of why AMD believes it's not about clock speed anymore:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con.../AMD_White_Paper_-_Final_Version_11.15.02.pdf

The term (1800+) is an AMD "Model" number and nothing more.

See Chapter 6, PDF page 23 of this whitepaper to see a chart of model numbers and respective speeds of an AMD CPU.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24309.pdf

Hope this helps.

The software is reporting correctly. I have the same chip and according to the specs that came with it, 1.53GHz is the normal operating speed. I have been told (although I have not tried it) that the chip can be overclocked to 2.0GHz.
As far as cooling goes, I really don't think you can have too much. The cooler you can get it to run the better.

John

I'm gonna try to check now, but your CPU might actually suppose to run at 1.53.

the 1800+ says what speed in MHz the equivalent intel would run (since amds generally have a lower clock frequency, but are faster per megahertz). My amd is a 2400+ but is only actually 1800 mhz. (at least until i overclocked it to 2360 mhz :) )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online