CPU or Video Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Motoxpro

Im a VERY heavy gamer and i figured id get into overclocking a bit. What will give me better performance if i overclock the video card or the cpu?

Actually, both. If you overclock the CPU FSB (unless you have an Athlon, that's the only way), this will automatically overclock the Graphics card transfer speed. But, you will also want to overclock the video card, so you can overclock the GPU speed, the memory speed, etc.

cpu, system memory timings, video card core/memory speed/timings, BIOS alterations/tweaker program that does it for you. MORE COOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motoxpro said:
Im a VERY heavy gamer and i figured id get into overclocking a bit. What will give me better performance if i overclock the video card or the cpu?

You can up the FSB or if your lucky you can up the cpu multiplier, what are you running now, also with overclocking comes the enemy...HEAT, you must keep an eye on temps, your motherboard may or may not allow it you will have to check and your ram is a major factor in overclcocking.

bookime

Motoxpro

well i have a P4 3.0C, Radeon 9800XT, 1GB of DDR ram. I was asking becuase i was planning on buying extra cooling but i was wonder which i should buy it for. Good CPU Cooling, Good VGA Cooling, Or medium cooling for both.

i honestly think all that stuff u have is good enough for gaming...you really dont have to overclock any of those items.

Motoxpro

ya, i know what you mean, im kind of a picky guy so i like to run all my settings on high. And with the new games coming out and ones out now, far cry, doom, hl2. and things like that i dont want to seriously oc. Maybe like up my cpu to a 3.2 and maybe my vga up about 10-15 mhz. I was thinkin about the VANTEC Spectrum Fan Card (19.95) and the Cooler Master Aero 4 (27.99) will thoughs be enough to do what im trin to do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online