1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU or Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Motoxpro, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Motoxpro

Motoxpro Thread Starter

Im a VERY heavy gamer and i figured id get into overclocking a bit. What will give me better performance if i overclock the video card or the cpu?

2. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

Actually, both. If you overclock the CPU FSB (unless you have an Athlon, that's the only way), this will automatically overclock the Graphics card transfer speed. But, you will also want to overclock the video card, so you can overclock the GPU speed, the memory speed, etc.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

cpu, system memory timings, video card core/memory speed/timings, BIOS alterations/tweaker program that does it for you. MORE COOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. zeddy

zeddy

It depends on your gaming rig, what is your bottleneck?

5. bookime wood

bookime wood

You can up the FSB or if your lucky you can up the cpu multiplier, what are you running now, also with overclocking comes the enemy...HEAT, you must keep an eye on temps, your motherboard may or may not allow it you will have to check and your ram is a major factor in overclcocking.

bookime

6. Motoxpro

Motoxpro Thread Starter

well i have a P4 3.0C, Radeon 9800XT, 1GB of DDR ram. I was asking becuase i was planning on buying extra cooling but i was wonder which i should buy it for. Good CPU Cooling, Good VGA Cooling, Or medium cooling for both.

7. jopapa1267

jopapa1267

i honestly think all that stuff u have is good enough for gaming...you really dont have to overclock any of those items.

8. Motoxpro

Motoxpro Thread Starter

ya, i know what you mean, im kind of a picky guy so i like to run all my settings on high. And with the new games coming out and ones out now, far cry, doom, hl2. and things like that i dont want to seriously oc. Maybe like up my cpu to a 3.2 and maybe my vga up about 10-15 mhz. I was thinkin about the VANTEC Spectrum Fan Card (19.95) and the Cooler Master Aero 4 (27.99) will thoughs be enough to do what im trin to do?

9. Motoxpro

Motoxpro Thread Starter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice