1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU 'over temperature' even when cold, shuts down almost instantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Holyhunter, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holyhunter

Holyhunter Thread Starter

OK, so my computer used to have the Domino A.L.C. cooling system, until it recently started acting weird and i uninstalled it. Now i have my default Intel cpu fan installed, but anytime i start up the computer it will do one of 3 things: Say cpu is over temperature, press f1 to resume (even if i do resume it shuts down a few seconds later), then shuts down, shut down after about half a second to 5 seconds, or it will start loading windows and then instantly shut down as if the power was turned off (although the lights in the tower itself are still on). I can't actually access the BIOS to check the temperature (the computer shuts off too quickly). So...wat do

EDIT: All fans are working.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing to do is post the EXACT make and model of your motherboard, and your processor model.

3. Holyhunter

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

It is very likely that you may not have the processor cooler properly installed.

Here is some information on how the Intel coolers should be installed. If your cooler uses "push pins" to secure it to the motherboard watch the video entitled "Processor integration video (LGA1366). If your cooler uses the side mounted fan with screws and a backplate to be mounted on the motherboard, watch the video entitled "Intel Core it-980X Processor Extreme Edition and Intel Core i7-970 installation video".

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031279.htm?wapkw=(i7+965+installation)

5. Holyhunter

thank you, i'll try and see if thats the proplem

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree win2kpro is correct. I would bet money you do not have the hsf installed correctly; one or more of the push-pins is not fully seated.

I always recommend pulling the board when doing a hsf on an intel type hsf. This is for two reasons;
    1 With the board out of the case, you can check that each pushpin is in fact fully engaged/seated.
    2 I am always scared I am going to crack a pcb or break a solder trace by pushing so hard on the board when it is unsupported. With the board out of the case, you can support the back of the board with one hand and snap the push-pins in with the other.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice