1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU Overheating after PSU replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InspiredITGuy, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InspiredITGuy

InspiredITGuy Thread Starter

Hello, I recently replaced my PSU due to shutdown issues and my desktop ran fine in the store after the replacement. After i left the store and came home, I encountered a heating issue with my CPU Intel i5-6600k reaching about 87C. This was never normal for my computer even during full load, as it only reached about 65C.
    Replacement my 650 that was busted with a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600.

I have tried these things:
    I have replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the CPU/heat sink.
    Mounted the CPU cooler back on in a star-like pattern slowly tightening. (Top left, bottom right, etc)
    I have thoroughly cleaned my computer with compressed air.
    Wire management is good to go, since i have OCD, so airflow shouldn't be the issue.
    The radiator from the liquid cooler is cleaned out also.

Thank you peeps for any help you can offer.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190728060953.000000+480
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    Hard Drives: C: 231 GB (51 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z270-A, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 161190435307303
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Are all the fans working ?

3. InspiredITGuy

Yes.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, check the fans are connected to the correct headers on the motherboard, particularly the Cpu one.
    Check the pump connector as well.

InspiredITGuy likes this.
  5. InspiredITGuy

Ahh, I've made that mistake before and my computer wouldn't even boot until the CPU fan connector was in the right spot. So, I am sure they're correct.

6. InspiredITGuy

Thank you for your kindness and patience. I need to head out for awhile and handle some chores, so ill check back on this soon.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. I will probably be gone when you get back.

In the meantime I've read that Intel cpu coolers can be difficult to fit so I would check that too.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exact liquid cooler do you have installed?
    Next what exact pw supply was installed?

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

I see you have a liquid cooler, it is possible the pump has died, is it plugged into a pump connector on the motherboard? USB connector for pump communications ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is what I am thinking; either the pump is not plugged in OR it has failed.
    Once he posts the exact brand/model# of the cooler, we can see if there is monitoring software for the cooler.

11. InspiredITGuy

Doing this for the 4th time had some success with the temps, but I think what the peeps down below said makes sense also. Instead of 87C, it sits around 76c with a small load. Like 29% cpu usage according to task manager.

12. InspiredITGuy

Hmm, I lost the box or trashed it awhile back... I believe its
    SilverStone Technology Tundra Series TD02-SLIM All in One Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling, Black, RL-TD02-SLIM. (Sorry had to copy and paste after i found the right one.)
    and new PSU is Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600 watts. Trying to find the receipt for both items..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The manual for that cooler is not all that great however it appears to show a 12V molex type pw connector for the pump. This would have been removed when the pw supply was installed. Are you sure the pump is connected?

14. InspiredITGuy

I will check this when I get back from work and update you.
    Thank you all for your patience....It has been quite busy for me, so I apologize for delays.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am leaving for work in an hour or so and will be OFF for the next four days. Good luck.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice