1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Overheating Loud CPU Fan 70C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Copoboxx, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

Hello, My system's been through allot of repairs but still i have my CPU jumping to 65C/75C and as soon as it passes around 60C + the fan jumps into Turbo mode running like a car engine in my room o_O
    The temperature runs high when im playing games / running an application that's using the CPU anything that uses the CPU quite well makes it jump into overheat mode..
    I have replaced the CPU allready (since that's what the HP repair centre said they replaced the MicroProcessor) when i first had the beeping codes they did that..
    Then they replaced Gfx Card and all accessories like WLAN Card etc. and still the same problem.. Turbo Overheating..
    I can't remember but i think they replaced the Motherboard too (not sure altough there saying they didn't but i think they did)
    Still overheating like mad! :(
    I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    2Gig ram
    ATI X1700

There coming back to replace the Fans and motherboard (which i hope becuase system's not been picked up for 2 days..)
    I was wondering the ideas of you guys ;) Anything that i should do? since the HP repair seems to know very little and they just replace random parts :( My system's on Normal 30C / 40C when i start it up but jumps to 70C when i load it with games / 4-5 applications running..

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I guess you wont know - but did they put good thermal heatsink compound on the CPU / FAN interface

Is the machine actually getting very HOT ...

3. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

70C isn't hot for you?

Also yeah, i don't know if they put Thermal compound :(

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I wondered if the machine was misreporting the temp, and it was not actually that HOT ....

5. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

Oh =) Well seriously if it was misreporting maybe the Fans wouldn't kick into 5000RPM (Speedfan FAN speed result) and run like a car engine?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this system under warranty?

7. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

Yeah if you read the first post i mentioned HP Repair Centre..

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, actually that is wrong. If smartfan is enabled in the bios [and it should be] it responds to sensed temp; ie what is being reported. You need to understand that the temps sensors on a motherboard are very cheap items. A really accurate sensor would double the cost of the board [not something most people would want]

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just because you had it serviced by hp in no way is indicative of warranty status.

10. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

Sorry, i thought maybe you might have understood ;)

Anyway, I forgot about the smartfan.. Where can i see if that is enabled?
    But let me tell you guys this also, Sometimes when i take off the case cover, i can feel the warmness from the CPU though.. If i put my hands close i can feel the warm heat coming out of the Heatsink fan..

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    they would if it reported 70c but the temp had only moved up to 55 from your idle condition, hence the question does it feel HOT - not suggesting you touch it - but you should be able to notice that - I have an old AMD that runs around 68c and keeps the room nice and warm, and you can feel the air getting hot ..

12. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

OK, i just opened up the case and i feel cold air blowing out nicely
    lol i tried to move my hard closer towards the cpu underneath the Heatsink and i felt kinda warm not hot (i didnt touch it safety.. ) but moving it close toward the cpu / moverboard did feel warm.. kinda between warm and hot and this was when speedfan reported these:
    [​IMG]

lol my thumb accidently touched not stopped but touched the case fan and i Jumped so badly that really damn scared me to death hehe xD

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The socket 775s are somewhat a pain to get installed correctly. If this system is under warranty, then send it to hp. If you want to attempt to fix it [and void your warranty] here is what I would do.
    1 Pull the board
    2 Remove the hsf and clean hsf and cpu with 99% alcohol
    3 Once all parts are clean and dry, apply arctic silver and reinstall the hsf
    4 Check under the board to make sure ALL four push pins are fully engaged
    5 Reinstall board

Note the 775s require the hsf to contact the cpu heat spreader with a min of 15lbs down or clamping force. If one of the push pins is not fully engaged, it will result in overheating and or shutdown.

14. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Thread Starter

I think i'll wait for HP to come and pick my system up and i hope they replace the Motherboard.. So you guys think it'll be fixed if the Motherboard is replaced?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe yes and maybe no. It depends on if they install the hsf correctly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice