1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Overheating ONLY with load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BossMoney, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BossMoney

BossMoney Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having problems with a computer I built about 2 years ago. The problem I am experiencing is my CPU is overheating when a load is present. If I play a game, it is guaranteed to overheat within 60 seconds. If I have for example Adobe Auditions running by itself I have no problem, but add a couple other programs like Internet Explorer and it overheats. The temperature reaches 127 degrees Celcius (NOT Fahrenheit) and shuts the computer down. The idle temp is always around 30-40 degrees Celcius, which I believe is normal. When it shuts down there is no warning or symptoms of overheating. Also I have completely disassembled and cleaned the motherboard and components, also the fans, heatsink and reapplied AS 5 thermal paste (Yes I applied it properly). I have even reinstalled my OS to rule out viruses. When a CPU stress test is done, the tempurature gradually reaches the shut off point of 127 degrees Celcius. This problem has been happening for about 4 months now and I'm thinking maybe the CPU is damaged or the thermal sensor has gone. You would think at 127 degrees Celcius the heatsink would burn you, but it is only very warm to the touch. I am using Everest Ultimate and the BIOS to view my temps. Also it displays CPU Overtemp!! at post. Any help would be much appreciated.

My specification for my computer are as follows:

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2700 MHz (13.5 x 200) 5200+
    CPU Alias Brisbane CPU Stepping BH-G2
    CPU Clock 2700.2 MHz (original: 2700 MHz)(This changes depending on load)
    CPU Multiplier 13.5x CPU FSB 200.0 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
    HyperTransport Clock 1000.1 MHz Memory Bus 300.0 MHz
    DRAM:FSB Ratio CPU/9
    Motherboard Name Asus M3A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset AMD 770, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (09/28/09)
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the asus website and it shows numerous bios updates that address cpu temp and vcore values. Are you running the latest release bios.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I doubt the processor would survive a trip to 127C. Something else has to be wrong. I agree, try a BIOS update, though frankly I don't hold out a lot of hope for that.

Is your heat sink a heat pipe type? If it is, then if one or more of the heat pipes has sprung a leak you would get symptoms consistent with what you are seeing - and in fact your processor has survived trips to 127C!

I can't think of anything else, other than bad sensor.

4. BossMoney

BossMoney Thread Starter

First off, thanks for the quick response... much appreciated!

The heat sink is the original with processor from AMD. Does not have heat pipes. I will try and update the BIOS, but to be honest I have never done this and don't really know how. If you have the time, could you please let me know how. I am pretty good with computers, so it shouldn't be to hard for me to understand. As for the sensor, that is originally what I was thinking, but if the temp gradually increases to the shut off point, I would think the sensor is reading correctly.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all read your manual. A bios update is not difficult however if corrupted or done incorrectly, you render your board unbootable ie a paperweight.

Your board has EZFlash so it is pretty simple.
    1 Download the bios file and unzip.
    2 Copy the contents to a usb flash drive
    3 Restart the system and enter the bios
    4 Access ezflash from the bios menu or there is a hot key again read your manual
    5 Point ezflash at the flash drive and start the update
    6 Follow the prompts and reboot when prompted
    7 Again enter the bios and set any custom settings you need ie sata mode, boot order, etc. Save settings and restart. Done.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Note you can update from within windows however I never recommend running windows to update a bios. Just adds one more layer of complexity to the task.

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Just be very careful though and try to keep the computer as cool as possible while you are doing the update. Open the side of the case and put a desk fan blowing into it or something like that to try and keep the temp below shut off because that is the last thing you want as you are doing a BIOS update.

Jack-O-Bytes

8. BossMoney

BossMoney Thread Starter

That's what I heard, that it is risky to update your BIOS if do not know what your doing.
    I would need to update it from windows beacuse I do not have a flash drive.
    I will figure it out and keep you posted. Thanks again for the info!

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Flash drives are VERY cheap. If you are going to work on computers, you need one. End of story. As I said I never recommend flashing a bios from within windows.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I agree. Get a flash drive and do it that way.

11. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

yeah but while your flashing the BIOS from outside windows isn't there still the chance that the computer may shut down due to overheating and ruin the BIOS?

Jack-O-Bytes

12. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

If this problem had been endemic since the system was built, I might agree that a BIOS issue could be involved; since it just showed up 4 months ago, I'd have to think the motherboard is failing. If the basic hardware concerns such as the thermal compound, fan speed, proper heatsink mounting, and so on are OK, then it's much more likely to be the mainboard going south rather than a problem with the processor.

There are always potential risks in flashing the BIOS, but doing it outside of Windows certainly puts much less stress on the cooling system than doing it in Windows would. Worst case scenario: the update fails and renders the computer useless. And that's pretty much where it's at already.

13. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Maybe not mainboard. Could be worth taking a look at the power supply voltages; make sure all are in spec for voltage and ripple. Excessive ripple *could* have something to do with it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!