1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverseed71, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverseed71

silverseed71 Thread Starter

I have a computer that is overheating. I downloaded Core Temp 1.0 and it is showing my computer at about 100 - 110 C in temperature. I saw somewhere about undervolting the processor. I do know that you can download RMClock all day long to "undervolt", but it doesn't work (At least not unless you want to pay). Is there anything else out there to reduce the temp of my CPU? I was told by my boss at work that it was probably overclocking, but I saw nowhere to change the clocking speed.

I would like to take this time to say that AMD is awful and so is HP.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    First thing, IMO, is to make sure the CPU is correctly attached to the Heat Sink.... I have found that after time the paste that connects CPU to the HeatSink can age and needs to be replaced..

3. conan007

conan007

try to feel the heat itself on the heat sink. sometimes the sensors are screwed up.

4. silverseed71

I will check it out. My first thought was overheating. The back of the laptop is too hot to even touch.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds to me as though the fans are not working properly, if at all.
    Laptops can suffer from cooling problems, especially if they have actually been used on a lap or other cloth surface and the cooling fins get clogged..

6. silverseed71

I got everything open and blew air in it. It cooled down to 67 C. Before I attempt to take this completely apart, is there anything I can do about it overheating. I can hear a fan running. I have all covers off but I do dread getting the whole thing apart and if I can't really do anything, then is it worth my trouble? I was just wondering if there is truly a program that can undervolt it or something?

7. silverseed71

Core Temp now shows:
    Tj Max: 100 C
    CPU #0: 64 C
    Max: 79 C
    Min: 59 C
    been open and on for about 30 minutes

8. silverseed71

I just put the cover to the RAM back on and put the battery back in. Even at 72 C the mouse is choppy and so are the graphics.

9. silverseed71

Well, it got up to 90 degrees C. I did a little research and it turns on that the Max temp for a Turion x2 64 can be around 95. So, even though the temps seem somewhat okay, it is still choppy, and if I get any more angry at this laptop and break it, I am going to chalk it up to unfixable and deem it as a loss in cash! Ouch!

10. conan007

conan007

you could try to use a cooler. maybe itl help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice