1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevecook, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

I've just cleaned up and reapplied thermal paste to CPU and heatsink but according to Speedfan the CPU is idling at 72 degrees and shoots up to 105 very quickly under load, any ideas as to cause?
    I've cleaned the heatsink etc and the fan is running at 3800 rpm, is it time to replace the processor?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'd say either the heatsink is not clamped down securely and making good contact, or the heatsink paste is applied incorrectly.

3. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Double checked clamps and even spread of paste - still running 75 degrees.
    Checked in BIOS target temp for CPU was 75 degrees so I changed it to 60 which is the lowest setting but I still think 60 is too hot for idling. The computer is Packad Bell with Intel P5 processor and is now idling at 62 degrees.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

I wouldn't recommend "spreading" the paste.

Use a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 and apply a dab the size of half a grain of rice. Allow the pressure of the heatsink clamp and eventual heating to evenly spread the paste.

Cooling results should be immediate, with improved temps in a few days (usually 3-4 C) factoring in pate curing and spreading.

5. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

The paste I have is "Coolermaster Thermal Paste" is spread thinly and should be OK - I've done dozens of these before, I'm just not accustomed to the idling temp being so high.
    If what I saw in the BIOS is correct then NEC (NEC mobo) seem to think 60 degrees is normal!!

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Have you checked the temps in Windows?

7. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

I dont think your having much of an issue, 105 for temp is not that bad. If it was more like 150+ i would start to really wonder. Review this Link and see what you think.

What was the past temp before you replaced the paste?

8. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Yes Prunejuice, both Speedfan and HWMonitor are showing the same temps while Windows is idling.
    weddy69 those temps are why I cleaned the heatsink and repasted the CPU, so no change!

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

Assuming you're using the stock Intel heatsink, I would remove it, remove the processor, clean it up, replace it with fresh thermal paste and re-attach the heatsink making sure the push-pins fully lock in.

Couldn't hurt. I doubt there's anything wrong with the actual processor itself.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you pull the mb to R&R the hsf? If not, there is a good chance you do not have one [or more] of the push-pins fully seated. The hsf must contact the cpu with a min of 15lb clamping force. Less than that value and the cpu will overheat.

I always recommend pulling the board to do a hsf on an intel cpu. AMDs are pretty easy to do in the case [in fact almost foolproof] however intels can be a pain.

11. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Just spent 15mins in BIOS - the target CPU temp in there can be set to figures between 60c and 90c - it was originally set to 75c, so I changed it to 60c and this caused the idling temp to drop to 62c in Windows. CPU temp is showing 82c in the BIOS without Windows running!
    Confused by these temps I set BIOS to defaults and the CPU target temp went back to 75c!!
    The heatsink and carrier are AVC and I can't see anything amiss there, but these BIOS settings look like it's supposed to run so hot!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What processor and what system do you have?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Please do not post incorrect and dangerous info. The temps you say are not bad are beyond the maximum temps for pretty much any processor. Your own link even disputes what you say.

14. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Intel P4 3.40Ghz; Asus mobo P5S800-VM/S.

The PC is Packard Bell and the mobo shows as NEC in PCWizard and HWMonitor
    XP Home

15. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

@Triples Did you do any of the conversion or didnt they teach you that in the tech school. 48C to F? 118 Degrees on over clocked processor under load... so how is my comment false? Im not hear to bash anyone it was just a comment based not knowing the processor type, prior heats, over clocking if done. etc so really 105F is not bad.. could use adjusting but not bad under load. You should assume everyone knows what you mean when your saying Degrees be specific F or C I used F.

ok here is your spec sheet see page 69 if your falling in the required zones. AGAIN THEY ARE IN Celsius.

Intel P4 3.40Ghz spec sheet for thermal... pg 69.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice