1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johntravolta7, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johntravolta7

johntravolta7 Thread Starter

I have run into an issue over the last couple of months where my computer will crash while playing games. It ran fine for a year up until this point, but now it only works for maybe 30 min while playing a game and then crashes. I think that it is the cpu overheating because early on when the issue first presented I attempted to start the computer after it crashed and got the error that the cpu was too hot to start. Since then I have run hardware monitoring software and did a stress test and saw the cpu was reaching 80 degrees.

I have already cleaned out the casing and fans of dust and I have already removed and reapplyed new thermal compound to the cpu, but the system still crashes and the cpu stress test still shows that the cpu peaks at 80.4 degrees. I am not sure what else I can do at this point. I have also checked and all of the fans are working.

2. brispuss

brispuss

Is the CPU overclocked? If so, then ease off CPU voltage a bit and maybe reduce frequency multiplier(s) as well.

If CPU is not overclocked then suspect the VRM on the motherboard may be faulty. You could check the voltage being supplied to the CPU in BIOS or by using any hardware voltage monitoring software. If the voltage seems excessive, then the VRM is probably faulty. Just keep in mind the voltage sensors are usually not entirely accurate, but should give you a rough indication of actual voltage.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

What are you using to monitor these temperatures?

We also need information about your hardware to make and kind of informed response. Please provide the exact make and model of the PC if it is a pre-built machine like a HP, Dell etc. If it is a Dell please provide the 7 character Service Tag number.

If it is a self / custom build, please provide the make and model of the motherboard (including revision number), CPU, RAM, hard drive(s), graphics card, power supply (not just the wattage, include make and model), operating system (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc and if it is 32 or 64 bit).

The more information you can give us the better. If you are unsure, please use the TSG System Information Utility which you can get from the link in my signature. That will give us some info to start with.

In addition to brispuss above, if you are overclocking I would set everything back to defaults for diagnostics. You really don't want to be overclocking anything if you think you have a fault, make sure everything works fine at default values and then work up from there.

I could be the motherboard, power supply, graphics card, RAM etc based on your description so far.

4. johntravolta7

The dxdiag info is attached. It was a computer that was peiced together in a package on new egg but one I had to put together myself. The motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 with an 8 core processor, 8gb of ram and a Radeon XFX R7800 series (ghost) (1 gb ddr5).

I did notice one other thing while I started up the computer today. I had checked all of the fans except for the one in the power supply which actually is not spinning.

Is there someway I can get a better diagnosis when the crash actually happens. I havn't seen anything in the event viewer about it.

Attached Files:

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The PSU fan not spinning may, or may not be an issue. Many fans have adaptive fans for cooling and they only start up when they need to (my sons Corsair unit is like that). What is the make and model of the PSU?

Download Asus AI Suite from here: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

WIthin that there is a program called Asus PC Probe II, use that to check your temperatures (CPU and GPU in particular, but all are useful) and voltages (+12v, +5v and +3.3v in particular). Let us know what the temperature and voltage readings are when your PC is idle at the desktop and again when it is under load (Prime95 or a game or something).

Exactly which GPU do you have, DXDiag only says 7800 rather than the specific model (7850, 7870 etc). It looks like your GPU drivers may be a little out of date, latest release of the Catalyst Driver Package was 29th Sept 2014 and can be found here (it says WIndows 7 in the link but the package covers Windows 8.1 64bit also):

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

Not necessarily the problem, but worth using the latest WHQL certified drivers, don't use the beta ones on the same link.

I am not a complete guru on the DXDiag report but nothing else really jumps out at me.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Once you install asus probe, post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3,3V values OR just post a screenshot of probe [this will also show vcore]

Next you might not want to hear it however that particular asus board is probably one of the most problem prone boards in recent memory. It is basically a cheap or low end version of this mb;
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/specifications/

7. brispuss

brispuss

The motherboard uses about mid-range quality components. So there is a possibility of component failure or degradation due to use/aging.

What is the make and model of the PSU, please?

8. johntravolta7

The sensor on that program shows these values:

Vcore 0.87-1.24
    +3.3V 3.312 V
    +5V 4.950 V
    +12V 12.149 V
    +VDDA 2.508 V
    CPU temp 42.0 C
    MB temp 32.0 C
    CPU_Fan 1308 rpm
    CHA_FAN2 3183 rpm

cpu frequency is at 1405.00 MhZ at 10% usage.

Can I get the psu info with a hardware monitor? There isn't any info written on it and I don't want to unattached it right now.

9. johntravolta7

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your pw supply is pretty low end; might be ok for a basic build ie onboard video, email, etc. It is not up to the stress of gaming. The only rosewil pw supplies that are ok for gaming are the fortress line that comes with the 7yr warranty.

Next post the same info while you are running a stress testing program. I use prime95 or IBT [both free downloads] Do be careful if you use IBT; it generates more heat than prime95. What you should see after 5min or so is vcore remain stable @1.25V, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V should not drop under load and temp should be <60C.

11. johntravolta7

After running a stress test for about 5 min I got these values:

Vcore 1.2-1.3
    +3.3V - 3.288
    +5V - 4.928
    +12V - 11.89-12.09
    +VDDA - 2.508V
    CPU temp - 73.0 C
    MB temp 34 C

12. johntravolta7

I see that the cpu temp is still high even after reapplying new thermal paste. Could this indicate a damaged cpu?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

AMD no longer publishes max temps for their cpus like they have done in the past however 73C is too hot. The fx8350 does run warm and tends to get hot when stressed. Was that temp with prime95 or IBT?

I would consider installing a high performance hsf such as this coolermaster;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Note the 212 hsf is NOT the easiest thing to install however it's performance is excellent. I have 3 of them; one on an overclocked 4350 clocked to 4.8 gig, one on an overclocked i2500k @4.4 gig, and one on a 8350 clocked @4.4gig. All of them run in the low 30s under normal load and up to 55C or so when running prime95. You do have to pull the mb to install the backplate [unless you have a case with a tray cut-out that allows access to the back of the mb] I always tell people to test fit everything prior to applying the compound and doing the final install. In addition you must measure your case to be sure you have enough room.

The next thing I see is that your 12V rail is dropping a little under load. Not terrible however it is still dropping from 12.1V to 11.89V. This is within limits however you really want to see no more than maybe .1 or so drop.

14. johntravolta7

Do you think it might be more effective to keep the fan as is and install a liquid cooling tube?

15. johntravolta7

I was also wondering. I just redid the thermal paste a couple of days ago and I read that overclockers should wait at least 2 weeks for it to settle in. Is it possible I might see an improvement after some use?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!