1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris0147, Jun 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. chris0147

chris0147 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I need your help as I am stuck and I dont really know what to do. I have got a problem with my laptop as there are something that are making to run really slow so I would need to investigate it to find out what the problem is and where the trouble is coming from.

I have installed windows 7 on my new hard drive as I think there is something wrong with my old hard drive as it is running slow when I boots into windows but i am not really sure if it is the hard drive or the CPU. However when I installed windows 7 and used my laptop for a bit, I ran the program to test my CPU temperature to see how hot it is. I found that my cpu temperature are overheating which it is between 60c to 85c so I shut it down and I ran the memtest but it got crashes during the test so I can't find out what the problem is.

Can you please advice me with what I need to do and how i can find out if i have got a bad cpu, memory and a bad hard drive?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

chris0147 likes this.
  4. chris0147

chris0147 Thread Starter

Yes that is correct.

Unfortunately, I still have got a problem with my laptop so I will need to investigate to find out why and what the problem is.

I want to find out how do I know if my cpu is ok or not, if my fan is ok or not, why the cpu are overheating and why my old hard drive are slow when I tried to copied the files from my laptop to my pc hard drive??

The name of the cpu I got is Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7450 Socket P (478), the name of the motherboard is Toshiba KSKAA and the name of the old hard drive I got is called Toshiba MK5055GSX 500GB.

5. Macboatmaster

On that CPU

TJUNCTION 90°C
    https://ark.intel.com/products/36734/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-P7450-3M-Cache-2_13-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

so 60 to 85 if 85 was testing at load is OK
    On the other topic it was suggested to test the hard drive - however presumably the new hard drive is not faulty - presuming of course that NEW means new and not merely new to this laptop

If it crashes during memtest then that is a reasonable indication that you have a bad ram stick or a fault on the motherboard

If it has two sticks of ram and they are accessible try it with one stick and then change that - see what happens then

the ram modules are under a cover on the base of the laptop
    see your manual

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. chris0147

chris0147 Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, I will try and take one memory stick out to see if one of them cause the problem. If they don't cause the problem as it get crashes when I run on memtest, does that mean I have a bad cpu?

How do I know if I do have a bad cpu or not?

If I do have a bad cpu, is it possible to replace it or upgrade it?

As for my old hard drive, I want to know why it took ages for me to copied my files from my laptop hard drive to my pc?

Does that mean I have bad sectors or if the old hard drive is about to die?

There is no click noise on my old hard drive so I am wondered what the problem is with my old hard drive...

7. Macboatmaster

test the ram first see my addition to my last post

8. chris0147

chris0147 Thread Starter

Yeah sure i will do that and report it back.

9. chris0147

chris0147 Thread Starter

I have just run memtest again with each memory stick. It's working fine as there is no errors and it did not get crash totally but it will crash totally when I run two memory at the same time.

I guess there is something wrong with the CPU?

10. Macboatmaster

What please does "did not get crash totally" mean

Did you complete a full cycle of tests on memtest for each stick - that is 8 to 1o tests depending on ram
    Memtest will show test and % starting with Test 1 and Pass and percentage the pass being 100% when all tests of the cycle are completed

As I said what please do you mean by total crash and a crash but not total

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice