1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wickdaman, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wickdaman

wickdaman Thread Starter

Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh

Temperatures
    Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
    CPU 95 °C (203 °F)
    Aux 29 °C (84 °F)

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.72 V
    +1.5 V 1.51 V
    +1.8 V 1.82 V
    +2.5 V 2.38 V
    +3.3 V 3.25 V
    +5 V 5.10 V
    +12 V 11.63 V

can anyone help or suggest anything to stop my computer from switching itself off? i guess its switching itself off when i do things because it gets too hot...so...what can i do?

thanks.

2. top_gizmo

top_gizmo

First thing to do is to check your fans and see if they are running, also look for blockage, like tons of dust.

3. Annorax

Annorax

95C for a CPU is very, very hot. Make sure your fans are working and turning. Check the RPM values. And also check for dust.

Was it always this hot or did this just happen recently?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

OMG, turn it off and keep it off! That has to be the highest temp I've seen a 'live' cpu running, and still working :eek: :eek:

5. doggard

doggard

Recheck the heatsink is fitted correctly and a reapplication of heat compund like artic silver or similar would not go amiss.
    As suggested recheck your fans are all working correctly.Most modern board have either bios or windows software to monitor them or try Motherboard monitor here:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

6. wickdaman

wickdaman Thread Starter

thanks everyone :)

i can tell at least one fan is working, but i havent opened it up yet. im gonna check it out tomorrow and see if the fans are buggered...

i havent had this computer long. i brought it off someone.

ill report back here if i find out anything :)

thanks again.

7. ~Candy~

8. wickdaman

wickdaman Thread Starter

I figured it had something to do with my interenet connection, due to the fact that the computer kept killing itself alot when it was online.

I checked my internet cable wire, and it looked pretty beaten up, so I went and got a new one, and now the computer works fine !!...thing is, if i played a game on my computer (the game requires 256mb ram and i have 256), and then went off it and did something else, the computer shuts down.

I'm guessing its cos I need more ram?...thing is, I can easily avoid the problem, so its not annoying serious like last time lol :)

9. wickdaman

wickdaman Thread Starter

still seems hot though....

Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh

Temperatures
    Motherboard 31 °C (88 °F)
    CPU 95 °C (203 °F)
    Aux 26 °C (79 °F)

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.72 V
    +1.5 V 1.50 V
    +1.8 V 1.82 V
    +2.5 V 2.40 V
    +3.3 V 3.25 V
    +5 V 5.10 V
    +12 V 11.56 V

10. ~Candy~

"SEEMS" isn't the key word here.

You still have a major problem. And if you keep running it that hot, you will have a bigger one ;) Depending on your elevation, that is above water boiling temperatures :eek:

11. lazacshord

lazacshord

Hi. I am just curious about what kind of CPU is that you are using.

I don't know if there would be any misreport of temp in your sensor software. I personally did not trust too much about the figures because I have came across on wrong temp measurement with the mobo and old display card hardware sensor before. However the difference is not too critical as yours.

Per chance for you to have some handy heat sensor to try having a touch with the heat sink abve the CPU? If you have no experience before then forget what i am proposing as the result is meaningless if you don't know what i m saying.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to open the computer up and check the CPU fan and heatsink. The heatsink should be attached correctly, the notch on the bottom needs to be matched to teh socket, and the fan needs to be spinning nicely. Most CPU's die at the temps you're running at.

If its a sensor malfunction then you should be able to touch the battom of the CPU heatsink without burning your fingers, it should be slightly warm but not hot.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice