1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joniuk, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

Computer seems to freeze when it is working harder; I suspect it is the CPU overheating. The ting is, it has only been doing it recently. I'm going to try putting some thermal paste on it.

First Question: How do I apply it?

Second Question: How else could I stop the CPU overheating?

My CPU is set up like this one:

http://www.tdn.net/images/HeatSync.gif

Thanks in advance, John.

2. davidb231

davidb231

go to this site for instructions for thermal paste.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Your heatsink and/or fans may have accumulated a lot of dust. Make sure that you turn the power off with the rocker switch on the back of your machine. No lights of any kind should be on, including the little light on your NIC card. Open your case and clean things up. make sure that you ground yourself to the case for 5 or 10 seconds before you touch anything inside to prevent static damage. Canned air works well.

3. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

Yeah, I will do that. My Case is off all the time as it is summer soon.

My Computer is restarting now before it even loads windows propperly, could this be as there is no thermal paste on the CPU?

John.

4. Yakiba

Yakiba

Ummm...not sure why you're applying thermal paste if the CPU already has a headsink on it. I think the thermal paste is to adhere the heatsink to the CPU, not cool it down by itself. If it's overheating, you should install a stronger cooling system. But, it might also be that your power supply is faulty.

5. Yakiba

Yakiba

Have you added any hardware right before the problem started occurring?

6. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

I got the board with the heat sync and CPU already on it from my dad, it worked fine. I put my 256DDR on and my 20 gig hdd and my DVD and CDRW drives on. I also put my Graphics card on the info is at the bottom.

John

7. dobbelina

dobbelina

Sounds to me like you have a power issue and not a cooling one.
    Just to make sure, install this freebie app to check temperatures with:
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

8. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

I will, can i have your email in case i need your help? or msn messenger acount??

John :)

9. Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Power could be an issue but you'd be well advised to also look at memory as the culprit. If this machine ran well when it was your dad's - don't pull the heatsink. If you insist, remove the heatsink fan, blow out the heatsink, carefully clean the fan and re-install it.

Did you reset your BIOS after you added/upgraded the components you referenced. This sounds to me like a memory timing issue although you have a few potential bases to check. In the future (next machine Dad sends your way), do one thing at a time and go slow - in the long run, its the fasest way to proceed.

Athlon 1.2GHz processors don't run nearly as hot as their 1.33 or 1.4 siblings but there was also a 200Mhz (2x100) and a 266 (2x133) variety. Do you know which one you have and have you set it up properly (or lets say changed the settings since your Dad had it)?

;)

10. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

No I did not reset the BIOS, could that be the problem? I know that when you see problems you make your own ideas about what the problem is. I may be wrong, but the computer tends to restart after the screen resolution changes, e.g. when the windows loading screen comes up, when the windows loading screen changes to the scan disk screen and after that when it loads into windows. These are the three main times the computer re-starts.

I am very grateful for all the help you have given me and thank you for continuing to try and solve my problem.

John.

11. Domer_und

Domer_und Guest

Thermal paste is very helpful in cooling down a cpu. Just take the temps of a cpu without it!

The paste aids greatly in the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink, it disperses the heat and cools down the processor by drawing the heat from the CPU to the Heatsink which is spread through the fins, heatpipes etc and blown away by the fan....

I don't think this particular instance has anyting to do with overheating, but the importance of Thermal paste should not be overlooked or underestimated.

12. two1361

two1361

i had a pc once awhile back, and it ultimately burn out cuz of a faulty power supply, which caused it to ultimately overheat

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/361249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice