Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU overheating.

871 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lostchris 
#1 ·
I have 1GB Ram
AMD Athlon xp 2700+
Radeon x800 pro 256

Since I installed the radeon and started playing some graphically intensive games, like F.E.A.R the pc has started shutting down due to the cpu overheating.

I have a feeling that the graphics card is making the cpu work too hard. Could this be the case? Or could it be something else?

I was intending on upgrading my cpu anyway, can anyone give me any suggestions for what I should get?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Why not just improve the cooling? Install an additional exhaust fan. Next install a better cpu heatsink fan.

If you really want to update your system, the amd64's run very cool. Right now this 3500+ is running @28C.

#3 ·
Try taking off the side cover and direct a fan toward the opening - this will help you determine if you need to add fans. What temperatures are your encountering? Try SpeedFan or Everest to check the temperatures if you haven't already. (Both are free) You can check your pc with covers off and covers on that way. One of my computers runs high unless I remove side cover - I just leave it off and clean with canned air every two weeks - been too lazy to install a fan.

#4 ·
I have a shuttle sff system, it is half the size of a normal tower setup. It has a pretty good cooling system built in, but it has no room for any more fans etc.

At one point I even opened the case and had a desk fan an inch away from the machine. :rolleyes:

Also, I have wanted a new cpu for a while, but I know nothing about them, so any suggestions would be helpful. I need a good fast pc to play the games that are out now, and I dont want my new graphics card wasted due to the other components in my machine.

But could it be caused by something else?

Thanks.

#7 ·
...and it won`t fit your socket a motherboard, you`ll need a whole new platform to fit a a64 in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.